The LGA is the national voice of local government. We work with councils to support, promote and improve local government.
We are a politically led, cross-party organisation that works on behalf of councils to ensure local government has a strong, credible voice with national government. We promote a “sector-led” approach to improvement in the sector and provide a range of practical peer-based support to help councils continue to improve and grapple with the challenges they face locally.
There has never been a more exciting time to work for us.
The Improvement Co-ordination and Strategy team sits at the heart of our national improvement activity. It is responsible for ensuring the effective delivery of our £17.3 million sector support offer, including peer support, support around financial resilience, economic recovery, council leadership, workforce and communications, and support for safer and more sustainable communities.
This is a unique opportunity to join a high-performing team that is responsible for shaping the LGA’s strategy around sector support to ensure councils’ needs are met. The Improvement Co-ordination and Strategy team directly leads on the promotion and monitoring of the programme, performance reporting, evaluation, sharing of best practice, as well as the relationship with central government who fund the programme.
We are seeking an enthusiastic Adviser who is passionate and knowledgeable about local government and wants to be involved in supporting improvement in councils through the delivery of our sector support programme.
The successful candidate will play a key role in co-ordinating activity that relates sector-led improvement, including communication of our support offer, and supporting the work programme of the LGA’s Improvement and Innovation Board. They will work closely with the Head of Improvement Co-ordination and Strategy and in collaboration with the other Improvement Strategy Advisor in this team to develop and highlight our improvement work and help coordinate activity across the Directorate, reporting on progress to the LGA’s political structures and promoting our work and support offers to councils and others, including through the organisation of events.
• Good understanding of local government and the challenges it faces
• Politically savvy and able to work with political sensitivity and discretion, gaining the confidence of officers and members
• Experience of managing complex and demanding workloads
• Excellent oral, influencing and negotiation skills
• Strong communication and organisational skills
• Good analytical skills, with the ability to pull together reports and briefings from a range of data sources and draw out the key issues.
• Experience of organising and facilitating workshops or events.
• An enthusiastic team player and collaborator able to develop good working relationships with a variety of stakeholders, both internally and externally.
• Desirable: Experience of working in local government or improvement agency
You must have the right to work in the UK, the LGA are unfortunately unable to offer sponsorship visas. Evidence for the right to work in the UK will be requested at the interview stage.
If you would like to speak to someone about this role, please contact Matthew Hamilton, Head of Improvement Co-ordination and Strategy at email@example.com
Closing date: 5pm, Thursday 24th June
Interview date: Thursday 1 July, interviews will be held remotely
As a Disability Confident Leader, the LGA values diversity and encourages applications from all sections of the community