At the Local Government Association, we have a fantastic opportunity for someone to join our national press office as a Senior Media Relations Officer. As a senior member of the team, you will help us generate proactive stories which set the news agenda and secure positive, high-profile, national news coverage for local government.
There has never been a more exciting time to work for the LGA and become an integral part of one of the busiest press offices in England. We are in the national media every day on behalf of our members promoting the efforts of councils to lead communities through the COVID-19 pandemic and pushing for local government to have the funding and powers to improve the lives of their communities.
As we encourage flexible working at the LGA, we are happy to discuss the option of a home-based contract. The salary for a home-based worker is from £34,728 pa or office-based from £38,440 pa (including London Weighting). The office-based working will be in line with our transitional flexible working policy where staff work virtually as well as in person as we begin to go back into the office again following COVID-19.
The ideal candidate will have media relations or journalism experience, excellent personal and influencing skills and a positive, ‘can do’ attitude.
Working in our Communications Directorate, your main duties will include:
• Generating positive, proactive news stories which reflect the LGA’s corporate and campaigning objectives
• Rebutting negative news stories about local government
• Providing advice to elected members and senior staff, preparing briefings for high-profile media interviews
• Working on policy-driven campaigns which reflect the priorities of our member authorities and the people they serve
• Supporting member authorities by offering guidance, advice and help with crisis communications
• Provide communications and media support for our commercial contracts with external organisations
You must have the right to work in the UK, the LGA are unfortunately unable to offer sponsorship visas. Evidence for the right to work in the UK will be requested at the interview stage.
Closing Date: 5pm, Wednesday 1 December 2021
Interview Date: W/C Monday 6 December 2021
As a Disability Confident Leader, the LGA values diversity and encourages applications from all sections of the community