Responsible for the provision, development, and monitoring of the health and safety management
systems across Southampton Airport, in line with the wider AGS group Health, Safety and
Environmental policies. This role specifically provides day to day advice and assistance to all
areas of the airport ensuring effective management of health and safety risk.
- Working as an integral member of the SIAL management and governance team to drive business objectives and performance.
- Responsible for personal and, if applicable, team compliance with Health and Safety, Security and Environment/Sustainable Development Policies, ensuring working practices minimise risks to self, work colleagues, customers, staff and the environment.
- Identify, analyse and manage business risks through risk register and risk assessment techniques to ensure there are robust contingency plans to manage and to minimise the impact of any events. Work within, promote and adhere to the Managing Responsibly System (MRS), Security Management System (SeMS) and processes.
- Manage, monitor, and control the Health & Safety budget and invoicing on a monthly basis and inform future budget requirements.
- Provide day to day advice and assistance at all levels of the airport to promote and achieve a safe workplace and safe behaviours and ensure risk is managed effectively throughout the business.
- Responsible for monitoring, measuring, auditing and reporting compliance with Health and Safety policies and KPI’s ensuring best practice is shared and procedures are developed in line with legislative developments to minimise risk to self, work colleagues, customers, staff and the environment.
- Co-ordinate and implement the Managing Responsibly strategy for SIAL by co-ordinating throughout departments the requirements of Risk Assessment and Risk Register maintenance.
- Management of OSHENS i.e. input of Accident / Incident data and monitoring of the system to perform trend analysis for monthly reporting.
- Train and track delivery of management HSSE tours to encourage staff engagement and leadership from the top and monitor subsequent actions. Work with colleagues and business partners to positively influence third party activities and behaviours.
- Identifying and supporting the investigation of significant accidents and to provide professional advice to managers responsible for accident investigation. To identify the causes and preventative strategies to achieve a reduction in safety risk and to facilitate this learning throughout SIAL. To maintain a record keeping database and ensure sufficient trained users to provide a robust record of incidents, investigations and close out of actions.
- Ensure that SIAL employees are fully compliant with Health and Safety training needs and records are maintained
- To liaise with insurers and Group Head of Assurance if applicable on insurance issues including annual property inspections, loss estimating and civil claims.
- Run monthly Managing Responsibly Governance Group (MRGG).
- Provide input to the Capital approvals process to ensure that Health & Safety considerations are taken into account in the project planning stage and at various key points within the life of the project;
- To carry out any other duties that may be outside the standard remit for the purpose of personal development, or as may be reasonably required by the company.
Qualifications and experience
- Previous relevant experience in a health and safety role
- NEBOSH General Certificate or equivalent
- Experience of business continuity management and risk management is desirable.
- Excellent working knowledge of ISO 45001/ OHSAS 18001
- Experience of internal auditing to ISO45001 standards is desirable.
- Airport operational experience is desirable.
- Experience of successfully developing and implementing strategies to drive Health and Safety improvements within the workplace
- Experience of delivering behavioural change initiatives
- Demonstrable knowledge of statistical analysis and data presentation
- Experience of regulatory reporting and liaison with regulatory bodies
- Excellent communication, negotiation and influencing skills will be needed to gain support for performance standards and to implement change
Framework and boundaries
- Whilst in a Health and Safety role, it is part of the operational team, reporting directly to the SIAL Operations Director and with a dotted line to the Group Head of Assurance
- Responsible for the management of the departmental budget
- Work within Health and Safety Regulation and ensure they are met, with the appropriate actions taken when necessary to do so
- Attend internal and external meetings on risk, health & safety & fire safety
- To work within SIAL & AGS Policies and Procedures
- To work within Health & Safety Legislation and SIAL Health & Safety policies and operational policies
Technical Competencies (desirable):
- Diploma in Health and Safety or working towards this
- Chartered membership of IOSH
- Experience of carrying out investigations
- Experience in working in conjunction with the emergency services
- Understanding of the civil contingencies act 2004