Responsible for the provision, development and monitoring of the environmental management systems across Southampton Airport, in line with the wider AGS group Health, Safety and, Environmental/Sustainable policies. This role specifically provides day to day advice and assistance to all areas of the airport ensuring effective management of environmental risk.
- Working as an integral member of the SIAL management and governance team to drive business objectives and performance.
- Responsible for personal and, if applicable, team compliance with Health and Safety, Security and Environment/Sustainable Development Policies, ensuring working practices minimise risks to self, work colleagues, customers, staff, and the environment.
- Manage, monitor, and control the Environment/Sustainability budget and invoicing on a monthly basis and inform future budget requirements.
- Responsible for monitoring, measuring, auditing and reporting compliance with Health, Safety and Environmental policies and KPI’s ensuring best practice is shared and procedures are developed in line with legislative developments to minimise risk to self, work colleagues, customers, staff and the environment.
- Develop and implement environmental policy strategies, action plans, procedures, and initiatives with the requirements of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 that support Southampton Airport’s environmental objectives and improve environmental performance.
- Responsible for all environmental permits and licences.
- Effective liaison and management of relationships with local planning authorities, statutory bodies (e.g. Environment Agency, Natural England) and internal functions such as the FM provider.
- Be the lead on all areas relating to community engagement, environmental management, and monitoring with regards to the Airport’s on-going Airspace Change Project (ACP) and Section 106. Ensuring a balance is met between what local stakeholders and communities want and ensuring that adequate information, detail and attention is given to aspects such as noise and air quality.
- Lead the business on Sustainability and ESG, identifying key areas where Southampton Airport can further grow its Sustainability strategy and ensuring good links/relationships are maintained with both Communications and PR to get our key messages/objectives out.
- Horizon scanning of Sustainability/ESG initiatives to ensure that Southampton Airport positions itself in such a way as to ensure that they remain relevant and competing for industry lead within this area.
- The ability to develop and further build on a Sustainability and ESG strategy making sure that the business is continuously developing and leading the way.
- To attend and present at the Airport Consultative Committee and Technical Working Group with external stakeholders ensuring that members are kept updated and that we provide a level of openness as well as an acceptance to be challenged where appropriate.
- Provide input to the Capital approvals process to ensure that Sustainability considerations are taken into account in the project planning stage and at various key points within the life of the project.
- Run quarterly sustainability committee.
- To carry out any other duties that may be outside the standard remit for the purpose of personal development, or as may be reasonably required by the company
Qualifications and experience
- Previous relevant experience in an environment/sustainability role.
- Excellent working knowledge of ISO 14001.
- Experience of internal auditing to ISO14001 standards is desirable.
- Airport operational experience is desirable.
- Experience of successfully developing and implementing strategies to drive Sustainability improvements within the workplace.
- Experience of delivering behavioural change initiatives.
- Experience of managing external relationships and key stakeholders.
- Demonstrable knowledge of statistical analysis and data presentation.
- Experience of regulatory reporting and liaison with regulatory bodies.
- Excellent communication, negotiation and influencing skills will be needed to gain support for performance standards and to implement change.
Framework and boundaries
- Whilst in a Sustainability role, it is part of the operational team, reporting directly to the SIAL Operations Director and with a dotted line to the Communications and Sustainability Director
- Responsible for the management of the departmental budget
- Attend internal and external meetings on risk, environment/sustainability
- To work within SIAL & AGS Policies and Procedures
- To work within Health & Safety Legislation and SIAL Health & Safety policies and operational policies
Technical Competencies (desirable):
- Membership of IEMA
- Experience of carrying out investigations
- Understanding of EASA certification