About Armstrong Watson LLP
As an expanding business with 17 offices at present, Armstrong Watson LLP is a leading independent accountancy firm ranked in the top 30 firms of accountants and business advisers.
With approximately 470 colleagues, our people and our culture are at the heart of what we do. We recognise the unique impact our employees have on not only our clients, but also our colleagues and the communities in which we operate in. Our success is dependent on every colleague behaving consistently across all four of our values: Passion, Trust, Honesty and Humanity.
We are now recruiting for a Tax Compliance Manager to join our Leeds office (although we would be willing to look at having the successful candidate based at either our Skipton or Northallerton office if this was their preference).
This role will involve managing your own portfolio of tax clients together with the workflow of your team, and ensuring an excellent service is provided to our existing clients, whilst also helping to create new business opportunities.
The main elements of this role will include:
- Being responsible for entering tax information into the relevant sections of our tax software ready for issue to client without a review. In a full tax year this will equate to data entry for a mixed portfolio of up to 250 complex personal tax returns
- Dealing with complex areas within their portfolio, including Profit Sharing, Farmers Averaging claims, CGT Computations, Pension Planning, Loss Relief claims, Foreign Income etc
- Reviewing tax returns prepared by Trainees, Assistants and Seniors
- Taking ownership of and monitoring tax compliance team portfolio – ensuring progress on tax returns is made and that all tax returns in the team portfolio are submitted to HMRC by the filing deadline
- Planning, prioritising and allocating all relevant client work ensuring effective team workflow
- Effectively lead briefings to tax team prior to undertaking work
- Providing regular feedback to all team members on their performance via ‘1-1’ meetings
- Conducting formal appraisals versus original objectives and job specification for each direct team member in line with continuous review process
- Providing input into overall departmental training programme via provision of content where required
- Identifying the needs of clients, and pro-actively develop new business opportunities for Armstrong Watson
- Forming good professional relationships with clients and intermediaries, creating an environment whereby they feel happy to refer their contacts to Armstrong Watson
- Feed into the business development strategy to win new work for the Tax Compliance team
Additional responsibilities / information can be found on the Job Description attached.
In order to fulfil the role, we expect a candidate to:
- Be ATT Qualified (essential) and / or CTA Qualified (desirable)
- Have a minimum of 3 years’ experience working in a similar role
- Be experienced working within a professional Accounting Practice environment
- Have experience prioritizing workload in order to ensure the workflow of the team is managed well and deadlines continue to be met
- Be able to effectively manage and support colleagues under their line management and ensure they are developed to the best ability (previous line management experience is desirable but not essential for this role)
- Have experience using CCH Personal Tax Software (desirable)
- Be aware of the relevant Accounting Standards and ensure you can comply with their instruction at all times
In return for your hard work helping us shape our future growth and development; we will provide a competitive salary and a positive benefits package which includes:
- 3.1% Employer Contribution Pension Scheme including Life Cover and Income Protection
- Enhanced Annual Leave which will increase throughout your length of service and option an Annual Leave Purchase Scheme allowing you to buy up to 5 additional days annual leave each year
- Flexible & Smart Working – giving you the ability to balance home-working, office location etc.
- Life Cover of 4x your salary
- Health Shield Cash Plan (provides cash back on a range of Health benefits and discounts on fashion, entertainment, holidays etc)
- Introductory Commission Scheme (financial reward if you refer a new client)
- Employee Assistance Programme (confidential support for emotional wellbeing)
- Employee Referral Scheme (financial reward if you refer new AW colleagues) of up to £2,500
- Detailed and thorough on-the-job training
- Reviews and appraisals with your management team to ensure regular communication and providing you with a platform to enhance your career
In addition to all the benefits you would expect from an award winning employer, you will be given the utmost encouragement and support to develop your career further.
When you’re with us..... we’re with you.