About Armstrong Watson LLP
As an expanding business with 17 offices at present, Armstrong Watson LLP is a leading independent accountancy firm ranked in the top 30 firms of accountants and business advisers.
With approximately 470 colleagues, our people and our culture are at the heart of what we do. We recognise the unique impact our employees have on not only our clients, but also our colleagues and the communities in which we operate in. Our success is dependent on every colleague behaving consistently across all four of our values: Passion, Trust, Honesty and Humanity.
We are now recruiting for an Trainee Tax Assistant to join our Fairview House, Carlisle office and become one of the latest additions to our growing Tax Consultancy team. We'd like for this individual to start with us as soon as possible.
The main purpose of this role will be to prepare corporate tax computations on a varied portfolio of clients, moving on to provide support to help the firm implement pro-active tax planning advice for these clients.
This role will also be a great way to kick start your career in Tax as we will be providing ATT study support to the successful candidate. The ATT qualification focuses mainly on personal tax computations which can lead to you becoming a Chartered Tax Advisor.
The key elements of this role will include but not be limited to:
- Effectively managing the balance between your classroom study and on the job learning, giving full commitment to both
- Diligently working through your training plan over a three year period to ensure successful completion of your ATT qualification alongside development of your corporate tax knowledge and skills
- Being responsible for entering tax information into the relevant sections of our tax software ready for review by a Tax Assistant Manager / Tax Manager
- Using technical tax knowledge to identify issues for review stage
- Corresponding with audit team / client to collate information required to prepare the corporate tax computations as part of a client service team
- Sending reminders to clients of required / missing information
- Liaising with internal colleagues on job progress and tax payments
- Reporting any HMRC enquiry notices to the appropriate Tax Manager
- As you progress, taking ownership of your client portfolio - chasing the relevant internal colleagues and clients to ensure missing information is obtained and all returns in portfolio are submitted to HMRC by the filing deadline
In order to fulfil the role, we expect you to be:
- Seeking a challenge and able to balance on-the-job work with study (for ATT Qualification)
- Comfortable working within a fast paced working environment
- A dedicated team player and willing to assist colleagues within the team where possible
- Able to prioritise workloads under strict deadlines and work well under pressure
- Able to use initiatives and have great organisation / problem-solving skills
In return for your hard work helping us shape our future growth and development; we will provide a competitive salary and a positive benefits package which includes:
- 3.1% Employer Contribution Pension Scheme including Life Cover and Income Protection
- Enhanced Annual Leave which will increase throughout your length of service and option an Annual Leave Purchase Scheme allowing you to buy up to 5 additional days annual leave each year
- Flexible & Smart Working – giving you the ability to balance home-working, office location etc.
- Life Cover of 4x your salary
- Health Shield Cash Plan (provides cash back on a range of Health benefits and discounts on fashion, entertainment, holidays etc)
- Introductory Commission Scheme (financial reward if you refer a new client)
- Employee Assistance Programme (confidential support for emotional wellbeing)
- Employee Referral Scheme (financial reward if you refer new AW colleagues) of up to £2,500
- Detailed and thorough on-the-job training
- Reviews and appraisals with your management team to ensure regular communication and providing you with a platform to enhance your career
In addition to all the benefits you would expect from an award winning employer, you will be given the utmost encouragement and support to develop your career further.
When you’re with us…... we’re with you.