Job Applicant Privacy Notice
Notice about how we use your personal information
We are the data controller of personal information about you. We are Barking & Dagenham College. Our address is: Rush Green Campus, Dagenham Road, Romford RM7 0XU. Our Data Protection Officer is Victoria Eastwood, Clerk to the Corporation. If you have any questions about this policy or the ways in which we use your personal information, please contact our Data Protection Officer at Victoria.email@example.com.
This privacy notice has been prepared in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (“GDPR”) and the Data Protection Act 2018. This notice sets out how we use your personal information as your employer or when you apply for a job with us and in particular:
- the information that you give us;
- the uses made of your personal information;
- the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information;
- how long we keep your personal information:
- how we share your personal information;
- how we transfer your personal information outside of Europe; and
- your rights over your personal information.
THE INFORMATION THAT YOU GIVE US
We will collect personal information from you when you apply for a job with us. This will include your: name; address; phone number; email; date of birth; DofE number; NI number; current employment details including job title, start and end dates, current salary, notice period, reason for leaving; all past employment details; education details; interests; whether you are related to any personnel of the College or Governing Body; references; special arrangement details for interview; criminal record details; Disclosure Barring Service check, including European Economic Area (EEA) check; Prohibition from Management check; Prohibition from Teaching check; Check of Barred List/List 99; Pre-employment Health Questionnaire/Medical Report.
THE USES MADE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will use your personal information set out above as follows:
- for the recruitment process and for carrying out pre-employment checks;
- for safeguarding students;
- for checking your identity and right to work in UK;
- for checking your qualifications;
- to keep an audit trail of the checks we have made and our relationship with you in case of employment claims;
THE LEGAL BASIS ON WHICH WE COLLECT AND USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- We collect and use your personal information on the basis that it is necessary for performing our employment contract with you, or it is necessary to take steps before entering into the contract with you. We also collect and use your personal information on the basis that we need to do so in order to comply with our legal obligations.
HOW LONG WE KEEP YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- We will not keep your personal information for longer than we need it for the purposes we have explained above.
- When you apply for a job with us, but your application is unsuccessful, we will keep your personal information for 6 months. Applicant accounts created through our e-recruitment system are deleted after 12 months of inactivity.
HOW WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may share the personal information that you give us with the following organisations (or types of organisation) for the following purposes. Organisation / type of organisation:
- Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS)
- UK Government (i.e. HMRC / Home Office / UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) in order to administer relevant recruitment checks and procedures)
- Companies or organisations providing specific services to, or on behalf of, the College. We may also share your personal information with third parties who provide services to the College, including:
- On occasion and where necessary, the police and other law enforcement agencies.
- On occasion and where necessary, auditors.
- Companies or organisations providing specific services to, or on behalf of, the College.
- E-recruitment provider (Stonefish) for the administration of recruitment to College vacancies.
- Occupational health providers for the purposes of administering sick pay, providing access to health insurance or permanent health insurance benefits, making reasonable adjustments for disabled employees, considering medical evidence for capability reasons.
HOW WE TRANSFER YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION OUTSIDE OF EUROPE
We do not store or transfer your personal data outside of Europe.
YOUR RIGHTS OVER YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You have a number of rights over your personal information, which are:
- the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) if you are unhappy about the way your personal data is being used – please refer to the ICO’s website for further information about this (https://ico.org.uk/);
- the right to ask us what personal information about you we are holding and to have access to a copy of your personal information;
- the right to ask us to correct any errors in your personal information;
- the right, in certain circumstances such as where our use of your personal information is based on your consent and we have no other legal basis to use your personal information, to ask us to delete your personal information;
- the right, in certain circumstances such as where we no longer need your personal information, to request that we restrict the use that we are making of your personal information;
- the right, in certain circumstances, to ask us to review and explain our legitimate interests to you; and
- the right, where our use of your personal information is carried out for the purposes of an agreement with us and is carried out by automated means, to ask us to provide you with a copy of your personal information in a structured, commonly-used, machine-readable format.