To provide rapid resolution of incidents occurring in the production environment. To manage and improve the service management framework for identified applications, internal business teams and software vendors. To establish effective working relationships with support team and contacts throughout BPP.
- To take ownership of application incidents, ensuring appropriate priorities are set, required resources are engaged and regular communication is in place.
- To manage the application support incident queue to ensure timely resolution of incidents.
- To provide clear impact assessment and follow up actions for incidents using knowledge of operational processes captured through regular meetings with business representatives.
- To ensure division of responsibilities is well-maintained between 1st, 2nd and 3rd line teams.
- To monitor and improve the approach taken by staff when handling support tickets.
- To act as a point of escalation for the support team to troubleshoot and resolve issues as required.
- To handle communications across BPP for major incidents.
- To create and maintain standard operating procedures for processes not requiring development.
- To manage application updates covering communication to business departments, training of business and IT departments, co-ordination of the application updates and provision of operational support plans.
- To co-ordinate the plans and efforts of applications support staff, and forecast resource utilisation.
- To manage resources as appropriate for the implementation of application related activities.
- To carry out other tasks as agreed.
Internal: Management teams of all lines of business
All BPP IT staff
Apollo Group ITS Infrastructure staff
Apollo Global Application Team
- External: Applications providers and maintenance suppliers
Infrastructure support providers
- The direction of the activities associated with internal applications support.
- The priorities for applications support, in accordance with the IT Strategy and agreed plans
Staff management/budgetary management:
- Project Budgets associated with external expenditure (capital purchasing, applications licensing and maintenance).
- Resources assigned to project teams, to be managed as appropriate to line management responsibilities and networking.
Key Performance Measures
· Internal Applications Service – Delivery of the internal applications service to the business, without significant failure or poor service performance.
· Software Delivery – Delivery of software updates from identified application vendors in line with agreed delivery and release requirements.
· Project Communication – Communication of project delivery progress, to ensure the business is aware of status and any related issues
The successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following competencies in role:
- Achieving Results – Be aware of key business objectives, and ensure these are applied appropriately to all business activities.
- Building Relationships – Able to develop effective relationships with all BPP and client staff, and be recognised as providing a supporting role.
- Commercial and Business Awareness – Able to identify business opportunities, and be aware of the associated risks. Able to balance the financial, quality, people and customer expectation related risks.
- Customer Focus (internal & external) – Able to anticipate and understand customer expectations, and ensure customer requirements are met and expectations appropriately managed. Able to build partner relationships with customers and suppliers, and focus on solving their problems.
- Communication – Effective communication skills suitable for the management of and liaison with departmental staff and senior management, both on a one to one and one to many basis. Demonstrate effective communication, both orally and in writing, with subordinates, colleagues, clients and customers including producing reports, preparing, organising and delivering presentations using appropriate tools and techniques, and taking a leading role in meetings and discussions.
- Planning and Organising – Effective at determining a course of action by breaking it down into smaller steps and by planning and resourcing each of these, making allowance for potential problems. Must manage the field of responsibility within allocated budgets, and be able to plan and forecast future budgets based on business priorities.
- Understanding BPP – Understands and promotes BPP strategies, policies and procedures. Aware of how the organisation operates.
- Teamwork – Effective at contributing towards the objectives of a team, and be able to share knowledge, ideas and information. Aware of the needs, objectives and constraints of those in other disciplines and functions. Effective at managing people and can adopt an appropriate style to foster good team working.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making – Effective at solving problems in a measured and creative way. Capable of independently assessing a wide variety of tasks, and be proactive in relation to identifying and undertaking activities that are to the benefit of the business. Effective at balancing long and short term objectives, and understand business value. Be responsible for own decisions.
- Influencing and Impact – Act in a professional manner, and exhibit the required behavior that should act as an example to other employees. Needs to delegate tasks, responsibilities and authorities effectively. Effective at identifying goals and objectives, and motivating and leading others towards their achievement. Able to network throughout the wider IT community.
- Innovation, Flexibility and Adaptability – Undertake tasks with a positive attitude and respond well to management and client requests. Working locations may include a variety of BPP and client sites. Must be prepared to meet business goals and respond well to change.
Knowledge, experience and skills required for role
Applicants should demonstrate the following:
- Qualifications – Degree qualified and/or relevant professional qualification and experience (e.g. MCSD, Prince 2 Foundation)
- Experience – Significant application support management experience and some project management experience, in roles that require involvement and understanding of application delivery. Aware of industry and professional standards (e.g. ISO 9001).
- Training – Formal training in Project Management and Service Management disciplines (e.g. ITIL)
- Skills – Familiar with methodologies and project tools such as PRINCE2 and Microsoft Project. Familiar with application development tools (e.g. Visual Studio, Oracle Developer). Familiar with specified programming languages (e.g. .Net, SQL, C#), and information capture techniques. Familiar with methods and techniques for structured reviews.
- Analytical Thinking – Effective at acquiring an understanding of a problem or situation, and developing an approach to interacting with the situation.
- Strategic Perspective – Needs to keep overall objectives and strategies in mind, and not be deflected by matters of detail.
- Stress Handling - Retaining objectivity and proper understanding of a problem or situation when placed under conditions of stress
- Applying standards – Effective in the application of relevant industry and process standards to all tasks undertaken.
- Industry Developments – Must take initiative to ensure technical skills and specialisations are kept up to date in line with industry developments and ensure that all relevant skill sets are current.