The SOA Developer will work to develop the integration of systems that support internal business functions. This person will collaborate with business units to develop solutions that meet business unit needs. They will work to deliver an effective developmental, support and maintenance service for identified business applications, and undertake the implementation of application developments, including defined projects where assigned.
- Supporting the business requirements for the provision of internal application services.
- Implementing application development requirements, with a constant focus on co-ordinating business efficiencies through development.
- Liaising with IT infrastructure services, in support of applications maintenance and development activities.
- Providing continual support of business processes that use one or many applications or application services through common communication channels and service desk ticketing software.
- Maintaining applications to support resilient and well performing delivery of services to multiple platforms.
- Identifying root cause of application problems, recommending paths to resolve, and fixing where appropriate.
- Co-ordinating and assisting each line of business with opportunities for shared applications and common business efficiencies.
- Defining, planning and managing releases of application updates.
- Supporting improvement initiatives involving business applications.
- Supporting the strategy for strategic, tactical and maintenance activities.
- Taking responsibility for: time management; reporting and monitoring; risk management; issue management; quality assurance and change management.
- Acting as technical expert for identified internal applications, sharing knowledge as appropriate through intranet documentation and running training sessions
- Supporting other application team members and assigned resources as appropriate to the implementation of application related activities.
- Carrying out other tasks as agreed with the Internal Applications Support Manager.
- Internal: - Management teams of all Lines of Business.
- Apollo Group ITS Infrastructure staff
- Apollo Global Application Team
- All BPP staff
- External - Applications providers and maintenance suppliers
- Infrastructure support providers
- Decision-making authority
- The direction of the activities associated with assigned internal applications development projects.
- The priorities for applications support tasks.
- Staff management/budgetary management
- Resources to be managed as appropriate to assignment on application development activities.
Key Performance Measures
· Internal Applications Service – Delivery of the internal applications service to the business, without significant failure or poor service performance.
· Applications Support – Manage day-to-day tasks and issues with a positive and flexible approach.
· Applications Delivery – Delivery of business applications, achieving tasks and associated deliverables as agreed on assignment to a development project or activity.
· Technical Support – Ensures the necessary support and advice is provided in an effective manner, demonstrating a good technical understanding of identified internal applications.
- Achieving Results – Be aware of key business objectives, and ensure these are applied appropriately to all business activities.
- Building Relationships – Able to develop effective relationships with all BPP staff, and be recognised as providing a supporting role.
- Commercial and Business Awareness – Able to identify business opportunities, and be aware of the associated risks.
- Customer Focus (internal & external) – Able to anticipate and understand customer expectations, and ensure customer requirements are met and expectations appropriately managed. Able to build professional relationships with customers and suppliers, and focus on solving their problems.
- Communication – Strong communication skills suitable for the liaison with departmental staff and senior management. Demonstrate clear and straightforward communication, both orally and in writing, with colleagues, clients and customers including producing reports and preparing, organising and delivering presentations using appropriate tools and techniques.
- Planning and Organising – Good at determining a course of action by breaking it down into smaller steps and by planning and resourcing each of these, making allowance for potential problems.
- Understanding BPP – Understands and promotes BPP strategies, policies and procedures. Aware of how the organisation operates.
- Teamwork – Able to contribute effectively towards the objectives of a team, and be able to share knowledge, ideas and information. Aware of the needs, objectives and constraints of those in other disciplines and functions.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making – Able to solve problems in a measured and creative way. Capable of independently assessing a wide variety of tasks, and be proactive in relation to identifying and undertaking activities that are to the benefit of the business. Be responsible for own decisions.
- Influencing and Impact – Act in a professional manner, and exhibit the required behavior that should act as an example to other employees. Good at identifying goals and objectives, and motivating others towards their achievement.
- Innovation, Flexibility and Adaptability – Undertake tasks with a positive attitude and respond well to management and client requests. Working locations may include a variety of BPP and client sites. Must be prepared to meet business goals and respond well to change.