To support Level 7 Actuary apprenticeships through the programme from initial contracting through to end-point-assessment. Including providing coaching and support to actuary apprentices either via face-to-face or telephone and liaising with their line managers to ensure they complete the requirements of their apprenticeship on time. The role will also include regular reviewing / assessing of the apprentices’ portfolios of evidence and helping them to prepare for the apprenticeship end-point-assessment. It will also include reporting on apprentices’ progress internally and to external statutory bodies.
Initially, you will help design and implement the Level 7 support programme as the first cohorts of students progress through the apprenticeship.
You will be initially focusing on the actuary apprenticeship but opportunities may arise to coach and support on other actuarial apprenticeship programmes.
You will need to provide a high level of professional advice and support to the apprentices and their line managers without necessarily being an expert in the specific field of work of the apprentice, eg general insurance, life insurance or pensions.
Depending on the number of apprentices recruited, you may also get involved in the work of ActEd, for example marking assignments and helping to produce distance-learning materials.
PRINCIPAL JOB ELEMENTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Arranging with the apprentices and their line managers to complete the documentation and checks required for the apprenticeship scheme including a Job Role Analysis to map the work of the apprentice to the Apprenticeship Standard
• Arranging, undertaking and documenting subsequent regular progress reviews – the majority of these will be via the telephone but some face-to-face meetings may be required
• Managing own time and workload to ensure progress reviews are efficient and effective
• Reviewing / assessing evidence of work-based skills, knowledge and behaviours submitted by apprentices and recommending necessary improvements
• Reporting to line managers and employers on apprentice progress
• Preparing the apprentice for the end assessment (case study and interview)
• Supporting and advising the apprentices and their line managers to ensure that they fully complete the requirements of the scheme
• Working with the Director of Actuarial Apprenticeships to ensure consistency of approach across BPP ActEd apprenticeships
• Working with BPP’s Quality Assurance and Management Information Teams to ensure all quality assurance, reporting and documentation requirements are met within BPP defined timescales
• Raising safeguarding concerns with the BPP Safeguarding team
• Ensuring target retention and completion rates for apprenticeships are met
• Effectively undertaking any other duties as required, including supporting the Level 4 apprenticeship team as required
• Depending on qualifications and experience, opportunities may also arise to carry out tasks for The Actuarial Education Company, for example marking or course production
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED FOR JOB
• An actuarial background (minimum IFoA Associate)
• A good awareness and understanding of the role of an actuarial student
• Individual responsibility, honesty and integrity
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Ability to motivate (eg if the apprentice is falling behind), some experience of coaching / mentoring preferable
• Ability to communicate professionally and work closely with and support all stakeholders
• Experience of working autonomously and managing own workload efficiently and effectively
• An ability to take responsibility for developing own knowledge and skills
• Ability to work as part of a wider team
• Self-motivated and willing to take the initiative
• Excellent time management and organisational skills
• Excellent communication skills – written, over the telephone and face-to-face
• UK driving licence
• The successful candidate will be required to undergo a DBS check and checks on driving licence / points
• Good access to major UK cities and Abingdon
• Good IT skills: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook