This position provides a high level of technical expertise to perform or assist others in installations, configurations and the maintenance of the virtual technologies (ESX, XenApp, XenServer) as well as supporting (Windows/AD, Linux) servers, SAN storage and backups for computer systems used in the organization, to meet long-term requirements of systems operations and maintain the integrity and reliability of the system.
- Responsible for building and supporting virtual and physical infrastructures for the
purpose of supporting: VMware, Citrix, Linux, Microsoft and other Virtual
Technologies as required.
- To maintain blueprints including, but not limited to: Visio Diagrams (Server,
Network, Physical Storage, Logical Storage), Assembly & Configuration Guides,
Integration Plans, Migration Plans.
- To provide subject matter expertise as required to support virtual and physical
design, configuration, installation, and release processes.
- To maintain awareness of security patch compliance and their impact on the
- To develop and maintain operational guidelines for the maintenance and support of
the virtual infrastructure.
- To mentor support groups, to coach others, create and deliver presentations.
- To assist with incident and problem management to resolve issues related to virtual infrastructure.
- To develop and implement software and hardware upgrade plans and ways to optimize and automate processes.
- Takes supporting role in Virtual Infrastructure/Application Projects.
- To provide support and mentoring to junior team members. Provides high-quality documentation of work performed to clients.
- To assist with monthly Tier 3 on call support rotation.
- To carry out other tasks as agreed with IT Management
- Significant experience in a similar role
- Extensive knowledge of Windows server technologies (AD, DNS, DHCP, GPO)
- Extensive experience of site work and supporting a geographically dispersed organisation
- Significant experience of working with VMware or Citrix Technologies in a large
- Strong understanding of enterprise server hardware, storage design, NetApp and
- Windows / Linux Server administration.
- Support VMware / Citrix design, deployment upgrade engagements.
- Experience of WAN Technology
- Experience of virtualisation (Hyper-V / VMWare)
- Office 365 administration experience
- Infrastructure support in a live 24 x 7 environment
- Linux knowledge desirable
- SCCM knowledge desirable
- Cloud / Hosted knowledge desirable
- ServiceNow experience
- Educated to degree level or considerable professional experience
- Relevant Microsoft Certification (MCSA / MCSE)
- Current VCP or CCA Certification.
- ITIL v3 foundation