Europe Director of Internal Audit
LOCATION: UK Based with a requirement to travel to locations across Europe and the Americas.
Sysco is the global leader in selling, marketing and distributing food products to restaurants, healthcare and educational facilities, lodging establishments and other customers who prepare meals away from home. Its family of products also includes equipment and supplies for the foodservice and hospitality industries. With more than 57,000 associates, the company operates more than 326 distribution facilities worldwide and serves more than 625,000 customer locations. For fiscal year 2020 that ended June 27, 2020, the company generated sales of more than $53 billion.
Your local pub, your favourite restaurant, your children’s schools all have one thing in common – The Sysco Family… Brakes, Sysco Speciality Group, Pallas Foods and more, all come together to deliver a world class service, worldwide.
The Europe Director of Internal Audit role reports into The Vice President of Internal Audit. This role manages testing to show whether SYSCO’s control environment is effective and financial statements are in compliance with established guidelines: (Financial and Accounting Methods Manual (FAMM), International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), as well as IFRS bridged to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) for Sysco Consolidated Financial Statement purposes. Area of responsibility could include any of Sysco’s locations globally but will be focused on Sysco’s UK Broadline operations for SOX and its other European operations for Non-SOX audits.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position is responsible for managing: including designing and performing audit engagements; special projects; and process audits. The individual will be responsible for the completion of SOX audits timely and with good quality by reviewing and analyzing controls, risks, and evidence to conclude on the existence of risks and the effectiveness of the control framework. This position is also responsible for managing non-SOX audits and projects and executing a high quality audit report as the output.
More details on the position scope includes, but is not limited to:
- Providing guidance and expertise to professional staff and participate in the conduct of a wide range of assurance services, with a particular focus on complex issues, including audits, controls reviews, remediation projects, and assistance with regulatory compliance
- Coaching and developing Audit Managers and below within the Audit department
- Providing training for the Internal Audit Team to help develop a risk and control mindset
- Understanding Sysco’s industry, key performance drivers, business trends, and emerging technical and industry developments
- Maintaining relationships with other functional groups
- Working with control owners and members of Management to understand Risks and Compliance
- Communicating and working with various members of Management to understand any significant changes that are being planned or implemented and to provide thought leadership on updating process and control related issues
- Serving as a subject matter technical resource to facilitate the successful implementation and completion of projects and initiatives
- Improving the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the SOX audit as well as for our other non-SOX projects by leading the team on the execution of audit analytics and continuous audit monitoring
- Creating the budget, monitoring performance against the budget and identifying necessary staffing to complete planned audit work
- Monitoring the Internal Audit team’s progress against plan and drive performance as required
- Managing the audit efforts and assisting with collaboration with the IT internal audit team, management, consulting firms and the external audit firm
- Carrying out complex analyses and resolving complicated issues that require high precision
- Understanding risks related to the inventory financial statement account and adding value to typical inventory testing procedures including physical inventory counts, shrink review, and valuation
- Proficient understanding of all other accounts that are material and provide risk to Sysco including but not limited to revenue, taxes, consolidation and close process, fixed assets, leases, non-recurring transactions as well as IT
- Testing major transactions such as acquisitions and divestitures
- Planning and managing compliance reviews to monitor compliance of plans against corporate policies and regulations such as Sarbanes-Oxley
- Provide SOX audit status reporting to Senior Management
- Identifying areas of improvement and aid in mitigating risks to help drive future efforts to better streamline, standardize processes and create an effective control environment for Sysco
- SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Combination of direct and indirect supervision of Auditor Managers and below within the Audit Department
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelors degree in Accounting or Finance. CPA, CIA, Chartered Accountant, or CISA designation is required. Minimum of seven to eight years’ experience in public accounting or eight to ten years in a combination of public accounting and industry.
Must have knowledge of auditing methodology and tools. Must have advanced proficiency in PC-based software, including the MS Office suite. Experience with Alteryx or other analytics software is preferred.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Must speak both English and French.
What you’ll get:
- A competitive salary
- Huge discount on all sorts of lovely food and award-winning products
- Generous holiday allowance, with option to purchase more
- Recognition awards and Incentives
- Real career opportunities - being part of Sysco, the world’s leading foodservice business, opens up a world of possibility
- And much more….