A work setting like no other – where else can you see critically endangered orangutans from your office window, or stroll among rare giraffes and tigers on your lunch break? You can do all this, whilst making a vital contribution towards preventing extinction both in the UK and across the world.
Chester Zoo is full of passionate people with a mission to protect the natural world and prevent extinction. Currently we boast more than 1.5 million online followers from 40 different countries, making us by far the most followed zoo in the UK. We also have 3 million people visit our website each year – helping us drive awareness, engagement, and love for the Chester Zoo brand.
This Junior Creative role will work across many projects and support our Creative Designer and Social Media Specialist in a variety of tasks. You will play an important part of our wider communications and content team, allowing us to create and deliver a large amount of content across our channels, to a variety of audiences.
As our Junior Creative you will:
- Assist the zoo’s Social Media Specialist and Graphic Designer in creating design and social media assets which build and connect to our audiences, boost revenue, support fundraising initiatives, highlight expertise in science, education and conservation and inspire positive change to support the zoo’s charitable mission of preventing extinction.
- Assist in film and photography shoots and help to craft content (incl. video and graphical form) for a range of channels from internal blogs and social media to our digital and video platforms – including a range of video editing tasks, including captioning videos.
- Work across a variety of graphic design jobs for print and digital platforms
- Maintain a high level of accuracy and quality though a high turnover and variety of content jobs and design tasks.
- Input ideas into make our platforms compelling and engaging for our audiences and raise our Chester Zoo brand profile.
- Be responsible for developing and organising and archiving an image and video content library to enable zoo colleagues to quickly access imagery / video files. Also, helping to keep our equipment inventory organised and up to date.
- Take a proactive and energetic approach to building relationships across the zoo, including keepers and curators, to identify stories and generate compelling content for a range of channels.
What makes Chester Zoo a great place to work?
As the UK’s biggest and best zoo, we have ambitious goals, exciting plans, and there’s always lots going on here. We’re an inclusive and diverse organisation, made up of nearly 500 permanent and 500 seasonal team members, and we know how important it is to invest in our colleagues to help boost their career development.
- Temporary 8 month contract
- 40 hours per week, Monday-Friday. Flexibility may be required on working hours including weekends.
- We will consider hybrid and flexible working patterns (subject to Zoo policy)
- Salary of £23,238.33 per annum (pro rata)
- 33 days annual leave including bank holidays (pro rata)
- Staff pass so you can visit the zoo during your time off plus a number of complimentary tickets for your family and friends
- Access to Emergency Assistance Programme (EAP)
- Employer contributory pension scheme
- A relevant degree in media, design and communications, or proven track record of success working in a similar role
- Graphic design and video editing skills and content creation using Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience of taking a design brief and translating that into quality design output
- Knowledge of producing content for a range of channels, including social media and online, with a record of excellent work
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with good project management skills
- The ability to develop strong relationships with colleagues from across all departments, ranging from animal to commercial and conservation / science teams
- An understanding of how to utilise camera equipment to capture great content is highly desirable but not essential
- An exceptional attention to detail and understanding of print and digital production processes
- An interest in Chester Zoo and our mission relating to conservation and education
- An innovative and enthusiastic approach to your own creative craft and development
More About Us
We’re not just an amazing, award-winning visitor attraction that’s home to 20,000 incredible animals. We’re not just the UK’s most popular zoo. We’re a major wildlife charity that’s committed to the recovery of endangered species, globally. And, as the world faces an extinction crisis, we’re making a hugely significant contribution to conservation at a time when it’s needed most. We are Chester Zoo and we prevent extinction.
Shortlisting of applications and interviews for the role will take place while the advert is live; the advert will close once the successful candidate is found. Candidates are therefore encouraged to submit applications as soon as possible.