A work setting like no other - working among rare giraffes and tigers, and within stunning gardens across a 128-acre estate!
The Role – Electrician
This is a key role working as part of our dynamic Facilities & Development (F&D) team, responsible for responding to electrical services and equipment faults, managing electrical and associated systems across the zoo estate and undertaking routine PPM checks.
As an Electrician you will:
- Undertake electrical maintenance tasks, compliance/PPM, daily checks, minor enhancements projects and general daily duties as required.
- Maintain and improve site electrical facilities, installation, refurbishment and maintenance of electrical systems.
- Deliver works on time and on budget, ensure the efficient working of systems and equipment, assist management in identifying materials and resources required and complete appropriate documentation.
- Assist in maintaining legal compliance and a safe site, carry out all works in accordance with applicable regulations and codes of practice. E.g. current IEE regs and safe electrical practice.
- Carry out all works in accordance with department and management system procedures, method statements and risk assessments.
- Cover for other tradespersons within core competencies, at weekends and other periods as required.
What makes Chester Zoo a great place to work?
As the UK’s biggest and best zoo, we have ambitious goals, exciting plans, and there’s always lots going on here. We’re an inclusive and diverse organisation, made up of nearly 500 permanent and 500 seasonal team members, and we know how important it is to invest in our colleagues to help boost their career development.
- Permanent contract
- 40 hours per week, working predominantly 07:30 – 16:10, Monday to Friday. There is also a requirement to work rota’d weekends to support the operations of the zoo.
- 33 days annual leave
- Salary of £30,573.71
- Staff pass so you can visit the zoo during your time off plus a number of complimentary tickets for your family and friends
- Access to healthcare plan
- Employer contributory pension scheme
Our Requirements – Electrician
- To have served a recognised electrical apprenticeship or similar.
- They must be registered as having passed an external test in the current IEE regs.
- A minimum of City and Guilds 2391 Inspection, Testing and Certification of fixed installations.
- To have the ability to solve problems and adhere to H&S guidelines.
- To be self-motivated, resourceful, flexible, have the ability to meet targets and have a willing to learn.
- Experience of using recognised safety process including, risk assessments, method statements, COSHH and work permits.
- Willingness to undertake additional training as required.
- Capable of working unsupervised and as part of a team, managing own assigned workload.
- Be courteous and respectful within a busy, public facing organisation.
- Good communication skills.
Although not essential, the following would be desirable:
- Experience with both BMS and controls systems.
More About Us
We’re not just an amazing, award-winning visitor attraction that’s home to 20,000 incredible animals. We’re not just the UK’s most popular zoo. We’re a major wildlife charity that’s committed to the recovery of endangered species, globally. And, as the world faces an extinction crisis, we’re making a hugely significant contribution to conservation at a time when it’s needed most. We are Chester Zoo and we prevent extinction.
Shortlisting of applications and interviews for the role will take place while the advert is live; the advert will close once the successful candidate is found. Candidates are therefore encouraged to submit applications as soon as possible.