An exciting, fixed term role in a work setting like no other.
The Role – Assistant Team Manager – Conservation Education
This is a key role working as part of our award winning Conservation Education and Engagement team, supporting with the management of our Conservation Education Team. The Conservation Education team are responsible for developing and delivering our on site, outreach and virtual programme of workshops for schools, colleges and universities.
As an Assistant Team Manager – Conservation Education you will:
- Ensure excellence in the delivery of our schools programme (including delivery and learning resources), collaborating internally and externally to ensure curriculum relevance, stakeholder buy-in and authentic content creation.
- Support the Learning Operations Manager to develop the direction of our schools programme, deputising in the Learning Operations Manager's absence.
- Lead, develop and motivate a team of Conservation Education Officers and Assistants to ensure efficient delivery of all of the zoo’s school programmes.
- Implement policies, standard operating procedures and safe working practices to ensure the Conservation Education team follow best practice and are compliant with all relevant guidelines and legislation. Ensure that departmental assets, in particular Article 60 items (across the zoo) are documented and monitored appropriately.
- Develop skills and knowledge in the areas of conservation education, science communication and public engagement, keeping up to date with best practice, researching excellence and sharing practice both internally and externally.
- Collate and use KPI and evaluation data to drive a process of continual improvement, contributing to research about the impact of our schools programmes.
- Manage allocated resources, ensuring initiatives are well planned and deliver maximum value for money and effort.
What makes Chester Zoo a great place to work?
As the UK’s biggest and best zoo, we have ambitious goals, exciting plans, and there’s always lots going on here. We’re an inclusive and diverse organisation, made up of nearly 500 permanent and 500 seasonal team members, and we know how important it is to invest in our colleagues to help boost their career development.
- Fixed term contract, until March 31st 2023
- Working hours 33 hours per week, predominantly Monday-Friday although occasional evening and weekend work may be required
- Salary of £22,587.26 (£27,378.50 FTE)
- Staff pass so you can visit the zoo during your time off plus a number of complimentary tickets for your family and friends
- Access to healthcare plan
- Employer contributory pension scheme
Our Requirements – Assistant Team Manager - Conservation Education
- A sound knowledge and an ongoing interest of zoo based conservation and the natural world, most likely gained through a Zoo Biology/Conservation-related degree
- A sound and up to date knowledge of the National Curriculum and safeguarding legislation and policies.
- Experience of leading and motivating a team, including experience of coordinating volunteers.
- Have good project management skills and the ability to manage relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience of developing engaging content for a variety of audiences including school aged children.
- Outstanding communication skills, in particular verbal and written communication.
- Excellent attention to detail, organisational skills and time management skills
- A full driving licence valid in the UK is essential
More about us
We’re not just an amazing, award-winning visitor attraction that’s home to 20,000 incredible animals. We’re not just the UK’s most popular zoo. We’re a major wildlife charity that’s committed to the recovery of endangered species, globally. And, as the world faces an extinction crisis, we’re making a hugely significant contribution to conservation at a time when it’s needed most. We are Chester Zoo and we prevent extinction.
The closing date for applications is Sunday 26th June with a planned date for interviews of Friday 1st July.
Shortlisting of applications will take place while the advert is live and invites to interview sent sporadically. Candidates are encouraged to submit applications as soon as possible.