The Role – Horticulturist (Arboriculture) (Temporary):
This role is a truly unique opportunity to work in our award winning gardens that play a vital role in helping local wildlife. With 128 acres of land to care for, our Horticulture and Botany Team work to ensure that the all Horticulture features at Chester Zoo are to the highest standards but also support the conservation efforts for all of our animal and plant species.
The Horticulturist (Arboriculture) will be part of a team that works in the main zoo and wider estate, including mature tree work, lawns, hedges, and other horticultural features.
What makes Chester Zoo a great place to work?
As the UK’s biggest and best zoo, we have ambitious goals, exciting plans, and there’s always lots going on here. We’re an inclusive and diverse organisation, made up of nearly 500 permanent and 500 seasonal team members, and we know how important it is to invest in our colleagues to help boost their career development. We have ambitious goals, and we want you to be with us for the long term on our exciting journey.
We are home to the Nepenthes National Plant collection, Orchids National Plant collection and the Cacti National Plant collection amongst many more incredible hidden gems.
You’ll be working sociable hours, typically although some weekend work and bank holiday work may be required from time to time. You will work 40 hours per week, 10 days out of 14 on a rota basis including weekends and bank holidays, with set days off each week.
- Temporary contract – 12 months
- £23,031.05 per annum
- 33 days annual leave per year
- Staff pass so you can visit the zoo during your time off plus multiple complimentary tickets for your friends and family
- Access to healthcare plan
- Employer contributory pension scheme
Our Requirements - Horticulturist (Arboriculture):
- Arboriculture experience - tree climbing and aerial rescue CS30 CS31 CS 38 CS 39.
- Minimum of NVQ Level 2 in Horticulture and proven practical horticultural experience.
- Experience operating a wide range of horticultural and agriculture machinery and equipment efficiently and safely
- Excellent communications skills to engage with our visitors
- Full driving licence valid in the UK
- PA1 and PA6 spraying certificates
- An understanding of environmental and conservation issues and a passion for wildlife
More About Us
We’re not just an amazing, award-winning visitor attraction that’s home to 20,000 incredible animals inside 128 acres of stunning gardens. We’re not just the UK’s most popular zoo. We’re a major wildlife charity that’s committed to the recovery of endangered species, globally. And, as the world faces an extinction crisis, we’re making a hugely significant contribution to conservation at a time when it’s needed most. We are Chester Zoo and we prevent extinction.