Choose a career that inspires people
Progress your career as a valued member of one of the most respected and supportive teams in the healthcare sector. In helping us deliver outstanding healthcare you’ll be making a real difference to residents and their families every single day, with support from the organisation and your colleagues every step of the way.
Elston House is an 8 bed specialist residential service for adults with autism and who may present with behaviours that challenge. We aim to provide a safe, comfortable and effective care environment for those in our care, promoting independence and community integration.
We are currently recruiting for a an Activity Coordinator who will be responsible for structuring and planning activities for our residents, ensuring a fun and constructive leisure time. This role is critical in ensuring that national minimum care standards are exceeded.
This role will be on a 1 year fixed term contract to cover maternity leave starting 1st June 2019 and driving licence and own transport will be essential due to rural location of home and lack of public transport.
In this role you’ll:
• Support the Registered Manager to maintain a stable, happy and caring environment that puts the health, safety and welfare of our residents first.
• Provide appropriate physical and emotional support to young people in residence as part of a team of care staff within a residential environment.
• Ensure that the social and further learning programme for each resident is set up to meet individual needs ensuring that residents have a variety of activities planned and adequately resourced, thereby supporting the development of their independence, leisure skills and challenging behaviours.
• Plan and liaise with the Registered Manager and Assistant managers/ Support Workers to ensure that there is a schedule of activity to undertake, including timetables, and sufficient resources ready prior to the shift to enable a wide range of activities to take place in support of a social education programme. To complete all necessary paperwork including, 52 week planner, risk assessments and evaluations etc.
• Lead, coach and support staff to ensure that the sessions meet expectations.
• Plan and liaise in conjunction with the Therapy department the implementation of appropriate programmes for the residents to ensure their individual needs are met.
We're looking for people who have:
• Knowledge of suitable activities and pastimes to promote independence and social skills, for adults with autism and associated difficulties
• The sensitivity and energy required to provide a trusting, stimulating and varied lifestyle for the residents
• Computer skills with ability to input data, produce reports and power point presentations.
• Knowledge of recognised positive approach to working with challenging behaviours associated with learning difficulties
• Experience of planning and organising activities appropriate to individuals’ needs and abilities
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to be a good team player
• NVQ Level 3 in Health & Social Care or equivalent qualification in child/adult care/support
• Ability to contribute to assessment of and care planning for the residents.
In return we’ll offer you:
• Opportunity for overtime
• Employee Discount Scheme
• DBS paid
• Free uniform
• Regular coaching and support
• Opportunity to undertake further learning with our excellent apprenticeship scheme
• Free meals on duty
Please note: successful candidates will be required to undergo an enhanced DBS check.