With the world changing and new and exciting technologies coming to life, it’s a fantastic time to come and join the energy industry. You will help us develop new ways of thinking, supporting us in being smarter in how we manage our network and how we keep the flow of electricity to our 5 million customers.
We are already using electric vehicles and trialling electric machinery on our journey to Net Zero carbon. Our teams are passionate about making a positive difference to the environment, finding innovative ways to tackle climate change and the increased demand for electricity. This is an exciting opportunity to come and join us on our journey to Net Zero carbon.
This year we have three higher level apprenticeships available.
Control Engineer (based in Manchester) – Working in our Control hub office in Manchester, learning how we manage the flow of electricity, identifying faults on network 24/7, 365 days a year. You really are at the heart of utilising technology in real time to keep our network live and the flow of energy to everyone’s door.
Design Engineer – If you are up for the challenge and eager to develop your creative thinking, you will be involved in designing our network that will keep the energy flowing. There will be a mixture of working outdoors and from the office with our experienced designing teams on how we can connect customer’s homes and businesses on the electricity network. It’s such an exciting time as we move into a net zero-carbon future.
Delivery Engineer – You will be outdoors no matter the weather helping to identify faults, investigate equipment failure and carry out routine maintenance to keep the energy flowing. If you like a challenge, there will be lots of problem solving and thinking outside the box as we utilise new technology on the network to keep the lights shining, our electrical gadgets charged and manage the demand of supply from our customers.
Locations - Our locations for the HLA programmes are Blackburn, Kendal, Manchester, Morecambe, Oldham, Salford and Stockport.
What’s in it for you?
Learn while you earn on our fully funded three-year Apprenticeship Programme. It’s a great opportunity to gain hands on experience, develop your skills and knowledge and power a great career with us.
- Study for a HNC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering;
- Study for an industry recognised level 4 Power Network Apprenticeship
- Have a work-based mentor to support your development;
- A starting salary of £18,500 per year;
- Holidays starting at 23 days per year plus bank holidays, rising an extra day per year;
- Have access to a colleague reward platform offering discounts on high street, retailers, leisure and so much more.
You will need the following skills and qualifications to start your career journey with us;
- A minimum of GCSE (or equivalent) Maths and English Language levels 4 - 9 or A* - C;
As well as one of the following -
- Two A Levels A* - C (one must be in a STEM subject), or
- A BTEC National Certificate Level 3 in Electrical or Electronic Engineering (merit or distinction), or a
- A ONC in Electrical Engineering (merit or distinction);
If you currently have a HNC or HND in a relevant subject and you meet the minimum requirements we will consider you for a place on the programme but without the study for the HNC qualification.
We will also be looking for:
- Working as part of a team;
- An interest in driving forward your career;
- Developing your communication skills to the next level.
We welcome applications from all candidates who meet the minimum criteria.
The closing date for applications is Friday 25 February 2022.
Assessment Centres will be held in March 2022
If successful in your application, there will be several pre-employment checks we are required to carry out and documents for you to provide before you can join us. Any offer of employment with Electricity North West is subject to the checks being satisfactory.