N Brown group is a leading FTSE internet shopping company with over 150 years of distance shopping experience. Best known by our 3 power brands; Simply Be, Jacamo and of course JD Williams, we turned over £922 million in 2017/2018, with a pre-tax profit of £81.6 million.
Our vision is to become a leading digital retailer and to continue to expand our active customer base of over 4 million, becoming the globally loved experts in fashion that fits by helping our customers’ look and feel amazing through our trusted family of brands.
To support the delivery of our goals, we are moving through an exciting and significant transition in our Finance function, and we are looking for an experienced Commercial Finance Manager to support our Marketing and International functions.
Reporting to the Group Commercial Finance Director the role of Commercial Finance Manager is responsible for the execution of the financial plans and ongoing improvement within our Marketing and International Operations with regards to commercial performance, focus and mind-set.
You’ll be a key business partner to the Marketing and International Leadership Teams with responsibility for all aspects of financial management including the business planning process, investment planning and performance, KPI and financial performance tracking/reporting, improving operational performance, cash management, the financial control environment as well as management of their specific Finance Team. This Commercial Finance Manager will play a key role in advising and supporting the Marketing and International Director and their leadership teams as we continue to transform our marketing and international investment to underpin the ecommerce business.
One of the Strategic pillars that supports this vision is ambitious plans for international expansion. This requires a commercially minded Finance Business Partner who is used to getting involved with the trading teams in commercial decision making and working alongside directors to set and evolve strategy.
What you’ll be responsible for:
- Accountable for leading strategic financial planning and its tactical implementation for the Marketing and International Division’s Strategic Plan; maintain forward view of long range numbers, issues and opportunities in conjunction with Director and Leadership Team
- To, lead, performance manage and develop and motivate the Commercial Finance Analysts to deliver business objectives
- Support the Marketing and International Director and Leadership Team to define and produce key ROI measures and to create and drive a program of activity to improve ROI in line with Group Strategy
- To work closely as a business partner with the Marketing and International Director, leadership team and Finance to develop the commercial agenda to ensure that the business is focussing on delivering the highest commercial value and ensuring optimal performance on financial/performance targets/KPI’s
- Provide transparency evidenced by clear linkage of divisional results to statutory results whilst ensuring compliance with statutory and group financial obligations
- Create annual budget for the Marketing and International Division in accordance with financial planning process
- Accountable for providing divisional specific activity:
- Month end close - actuals, forecast, review with directors
- Month end reporting - summarise financial position, issues, action identification and tracking
- Contribute to Trading Performance - provide commercial narrative, insight, summarise and track material issues and actions
- Compliance with statutory and group financial obligations
- Supports Commercial Finance Director by championing change management; driving improvements to financial accountability across the Division and Organisation and improving financial processes to improve overall efficiency
- Provide Director and their Leadership Teams with independent, objective and practical advice, guidance and coaching in relation to embedding a commercial mind-set and governance
- Work as part of the Finance leadership team to develop the finance function brand across the organisation, as an efficient and professional organisation that enables commercial growth
- Ad hoc analysis and provision of financial advice as required to support decision-making and monitoring of financial performance
What you will need to succeed:
- Formal finance qualification: CIMA/ACA/ACCA
- Experience of working in the Digital Retail sector and / or Marketing and International Finance is advantageous
- Substantial experience at a senior level in a commercial environment, including development of the commercial strategy and delivery of business growth and profit targets
- Strong business partnering skills in supporting and challenging senior stakeholders in relation to a large budget
- Proven track record of building, leading and developing a finance team
- Strong technology skills, including computerised financial systems and Microsoft Office
- Strong operational delivery track record, motivated to implement/deliver on time to quality standards and build new efficient processes
- Demonstrated experience in managing change successfully within the finance function
- Demonstrated ability to quickly appraise complex situations, identify key issues and make tough, timely decisions
- Highly energetic and driven to succeed
- Excellent interpersonal relationships and ability to manage complex stakeholder relationship.
- Ability to influence and negotiate at all levels of the organisation and experienced in communicating commercial language with a variety of media
- Naturally inquisitive with a desire to understand a broad range of commercial issues
- A strong team player
This is a great opportunity for a qualified Commercial Finance Manager, seeking a significant new career challenge. The ideal candidates should be engaged, adaptable and genuinely interested in the fundamentals of the N Brown business. Candidates should also enjoy interpreting and managing commercial and financial data and be comfortable providing insight and solutions that can directly influence senior commercial decisions within our business.