We are looking for a professional Data Engineer with a minimum of 5 years’ experience to bring in-depth technical knowledge and demonstrate strong interpersonal communication skills.
You will have a large amount of autonomy to do what is needed to succeed, a clear and meaningful purpose, and backing to demonstrate mastery of the trade. You will also have the support and freedom to employ industry-leading engineering practices, with a clear focus on customer needs.
As a Data Engineer you are integral to the success of a data driven business. You will work in a cross-functional Agile team, orchestrating automated pipelines using (big) data tools/architecture and seeing changes through into production. You will be working within a cloud-based environment and therefore experience in this area is ideal.
By delivering data that is reliable, trustworthy and highly available you will be confident that with each release the codebase will perform up to the highest quality standards. During every stage of development you will focus on security and performance. You will not be afraid to challenge ideas and opinions to avoid pitfalls and inefficient solutions.
As Senior Data Engineer you will:
- Be technically adept and have a deep hands-on knowledge of data engineering patterns, practices and architectural principles.
- Be highly motivated, driven and adaptable.
- Be passionate about learning.
- Have experience providing mentorship for team members.
- Leverage the right tools for the right job to deliver testable, maintainable and modern data solutions
- Have demonstrable experience in maintaining strong technical standards in a fast-paced environment.
- Be familiar with Pair Programming and have an interest in helping to grow the skills of your fellow engineers.
- Lead the implementation and continuous improvements of a data lake architecture, optimised for analysis and machine learning.
- Apply extensive knowledge of AWS services such as S3, IAM, Cloudwatch, EC2, Glue, Athena, Lambda and Kinesis etc.
- Deliver data through various data ingestion options such as batch, stream, flat files, databases and APIs.
- Get stuck into scripting for both data and file processing, e.g. SQL, Python, Shell, Perl.
- Contribute effortlessly within an Agile, DevOps process methodology to CI/CD automation, Version Control (Git) & Test-Driven Development.
- Experience with data orchestration platforms, preferably Airflow.
Technologies you will be familiar with:
Cloud fundamentals – preferably several of the following on AWS: S3, IAM, EC2, Cloudwatch etc, EMR, Glue, DynamoDB, Athena, Lake Formation, Redshift, Sagemaker, Lambda. Plus some of the following: Teradata EDW (not essential), Airflow, PowerBI or similar visualisation tools, Test Driven Development (TDD), Version control systems (preferably Git), Experience of centralising data within a service oriented architecture, Grafana or similar monitoring/alerting tools
About N Brown
Working here you’ll explore everything the world of digital retail has to offer — asking questions, trying new things and chasing new opportunities. Combine this curiosity with the freedom to make your own decisions, take charge of projects and work flexibly, and you’ve got the perfect place to show your skills and learn new ones. It’s fast and furious here at times, but this just means something new and exciting is always on the way. So, if you collaborate, think on your feet, embrace innovation and love rising to a challenge, your work with us will have a serious impact on the business, your career and our customers’ lives.
What’s in it for you?
As Senior Data Engineer here at N Brown you will receive a competitive salary plus pension scheme, life assurance, 24 days holiday plus bank holidays, in addition to taking advantage of a holiday purchase scheme! You will benefit from our flexible working hours and fantastic location based in the heart of the northern quarter, Manchester. You will receive fantastic employee discount on our products, a discounted share purchase scheme and access to our Employee Assistance Programme and much more!
We are proud to be N Brown.