As The Leigh UTC continue to expand due to such great success over the past 3 ½ years since opening, we have a career-defining opportunity for a Director of Learning for Science to join and lead the department from September 2018. We are seeking an outstanding Science practitioner to direct this core subject, bringing with them passion, experience and the capacity to inspire and motivate students and staff. The ideal candidate will also have an understanding of how Science can be applied in our specialism context. This role is ideal for those seeking career progression and an interest in working for our highly successful UTC - please consult the Job Description for further information by clicking here.
What we will expect of you: Our appointed candidate will successfully lead this pivotal department for our UTC. You will play a key role in inspiring the staff in your department as well as our students with your outstanding leadership. We will also expect you to successfully plan and deliver outstanding lessons on a daily basis that challenge our students and significantly advance their learning. We anticipate you will achieve this by being passionate about your subject and transferring your knowledge in a creative and efficient way in the classroom.
We’d like to hear from you if:
- You are passionate about your subject – any specialism of Science can be accommodated for this role
- You have the ability and drive to make a positive impact on students’ progress and outcomes
- You have the drive to transform our learning and are dedicated to raising standards even further for all students
In return, we are offering:
- A supportive and professional environment to be a part of and full embed yourself into from day one
- The opportunity to teach at Key stage 3, 4 and Post 16 A level groups
- The chance to join and be part of an Academy that has a strong, dynamic leadership team whose aim is to achieve excellence for all
- A team of talented science staff at all stages of their career, covering all science specialisms
- Well motivated and receptive learners across our Academy
Working with us: Having opened in September 2014 with state-of-the-art facilities initially for Key Stages 4 and 5, The Leigh UTC provides an exciting, innovative, business-led, problem-solving curriculum, enabling students to achieve relevant work-related qualifications and transferable skills for future training or employment. The most unique feature of The Leigh UTC is its business ethos that are emphasised by our students' behaviours and supported by our sponsors.
In September 2017, following the request of the Department for Education due to our continued success, The Leigh UTC marked history by expanding its student intake to incorporate Key Stage 3 – the first UTC in the UK to do this. Furthermore, being the first UTC to have IB World School Status has enabled us to develop strong links in Germany and Qatar. Having IB Status will enable us to further develop the mid years programme (MYP) for our Key Stage 3 students and thus providing a joined up pathway from ages 11 to 19. The overarching mission of the Inspiration Academy is to develop curious, academically-skilled young people who aspire to be principled, compassionate learners. Our curriculum strives to create students who are self-motivated, competent, willing to take risks and lifelong learners.
Recent Ofsted success! We have recently been judged as Good with Outstanding Leadership in our first inspection since opening. Our key successes and features that our successful candidate can be part of are as follows;
- The promotion of pupils’ personal development and welfare is outstanding
- Pupils, including the disadvantaged and those who have special educational needs and/or disabilities, catch up from previous underachievement and make strong and often rapid progress in a range of subjects and disciplines
- Application to learning is often exemplary
- The Leigh UTC makes a real difference for its pupils and surrounding area. Pupils become motivated to find and follow their passions. They leave well equipped to succeed in engineering and related technical and design careers and contribute to the economy.
- The Principal, with his leaders and staff team, model a high-quality working environment. This rubs off on pupils, who value the supportive ethos, work-like atmosphere.
Being part of the Leigh Academies Trust: Being part of a successful multi-academy trust allows the academy to share best practice and collaborate with colleagues from a number of other academies in the local area. As part of the 'cluster' structure all of our academies are grouped together in key geographical area to enable them to be able to support each other and share resources. It also offers staff better access to career opportunities as the Trust is committed to developing and promoting from within wherever possible. We also want the Trust to be an organisation where people can enjoy teaching and become the type of teacher they aspire to be. For more information on working for the Trust please visit our careers pages.
Diversity at our core: As a Trust we are passionate about diversity and recognise that as individuals we all bring something unique to the role regardless of age, gender, race, beliefs or disabilities which is why we treat all of our people equally, without compromise.
The academy is committed to safeguarding children and successful candidates will be subject to an Enhanced DBS check. Our commitment to safeguarding is underpinned by robust processes and checks which are in place across the Trust.