About the role: Longfield Academy have a fantastic opportunity and are looking to appoint a suitably skilled and knowledgeable Science Technician to join a well-motivated and successful team within the Science Learning Area. Applicants should have a minimum qualification of an A Level in science or equivalent; specific experience within a school setting is desirable for this role but not essential. This role is ideal for those seeking to join a highly successful Academy.
Duties/responsibilities include the following;
- Prepare equipment and chemicals before lessons
- Maintain a bank of resources and supply these when required
- Liaise with teaching staff to discuss equipment requirements
- Run trials of experiments prior to classes and then demonstrate techniques for experiments to staff
- Maintain and repair equipment and laboratory apparatus
- Assist with the record keeping of teaching staff
- Ensure that equipment is properly cleaned and that chemicals and other materials are appropriately stored
- Help maintain a list of equipment and resources
- Support the work of teachers in class and laboratory sessions
- Deliver demonstrations to students, in conjunction with teaching staff
- Give technical advice to student
- Work with individual students and support them on research projects
- Ensure that all health and safety procedures are understood and followed correctly
The working basis of this role is full-time (37 hours per week) during Term Time plus one additional week of inset.
Working at Longfield Academy: Longfield Academy is a friendly and supportive working environment with innovation and collaboration at the heart of everything we do. The academy opened in September 2008, replacing Axton Chase School. Since then student outcomes have rapidly improved. We've recently been judged to be a Good school with many Outstanding features, including all aspects of Leadership and Management. Ofsted also judged it to have Outstanding capacity for further improvement.
The school is heavily oversubscribed in Year 7 and has a large and growing Sixth Form. In recent years, Longfield Academy moved into its brand new £25m building with state of the art facilities for learning across all subject areas. Its subject specialisms are in Science and Arts. Particularly innovative are its home access iPad 2 scheme and Bistro called 'The Telescope', which is open to the public every week and run by students. At the same time it has a thorough and robust approach to school improvement and is well on course to becoming a truly Outstanding school.
Being part of Leigh Academies Trust: Being part of a successful multi-academy trust allows the academy to share best practice and collaborate with colleagues from a number of other school in the local area. As part of the 'cluster' structure all of our academies are grouped together in key geographical area to enable them to be able to support each other and share resources. It also offers staff access to career opportunities across the Trust allowing them to progress their career without switching employers. For more information on working for the Trust please visit our careers pages
The Academy is committed to safeguarding children and successful candidates will be subject to an Enhanced DBS check. Our commitment to safeguarding is underpinned by robust processes and checks which are in place across the Trust.