About the role: Science at Mascalls is a thriving, dynamic and forward thinking department. We pride ourselves on strong leadership, excellent outcomes and high expectations of all. Having successfully navigated the recent changes to specifications, our curriculum from Year 7 is rigorous, engaging and structured to build, interleave and consolidate the skills needed to prepare students for success at GCSE and for life!
For the right candidate, there is the opportunity to teach at all three Key Stages.
- At Key Stage 3, we offer an interesting and vibrant curriculum incorporating the International Baccalaureate Middle Years programme in Year 7. A knowledge-based testing programme to build confidence in high level vocabulary and terminology.
- At Key Stage 4, we follow the Edexcel specification for both Combined Science and separate Sciences.
- At Key Stage 5, we follow the OCR specification for Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
Please consult the Job Description for further details which is aligned to the National Teaching Standards.
Our successful candidate will receive:
- A salary commensurate with experience
- Professional coaching and support to enhance teaching and learning
- Performance related salary enhancement
- Opportunity to teach across Key Stage 3, 4 and 5
- Bespoke CPD programme
- Complementary holistic therapy to support staff wellbeing
- Free use of a staff gym
- A thriving social and community ethos
We’d like to hear from you if you are:
- An excellent teacher with a record of success
- Collaborative, building strong professional relationships
- Able to motivate and inspire students to achieve their full potential
- Energetic and have a ‘can-do’ attitude
- Someone who has a measurable impact as an individual teacher and throughout the school
- Committed to the happiness and wellbeing of everyone at the school
Working at Mascalls Academy: Mascalls Academy is a secondary school at the heart of the community and our small school model ensures that each and every student gets the personal support and challenge they need to reach their full potential. The academy is divided into four colleges – Shackleton, Earhart, Luther King and Marie Curie Sixth Form College each having their own personality and range of specialisms, allowing them to be unique.
Mascalls Academy is a high achieving institution. Our recent OFSTED inspection notes “ambitious leadership has established an ethos where staff are committed to driving standards up”, that Mascalls is a “happy place to be” and that “staff feel valued”. Our judgement that we are a ‘Good’ school with ‘Outstanding’ leadership and behaviour is accurate. It is our vision to become ‘Outstanding’ in every category. Our most recent inspection can be found here.
Mascalls Academy is a dynamic and exciting place to work and the fantastic leadership team is committed to making it great for people at all stages in their careers. Our building and facilities are a mix of designs with two new buildings being modern, light and airy giving the academy a unique and special character.
We can offer you the chance to be part of a strong and collaborative department, not only within Mascalls but with the wider Trust as well. Full support will be provided and you’ll have the tools and environment needed to teach in a way that works for you. We know that being a teacher can be both challenging and rewarding in equal measures and that you thrive on inspiring young adults and stimulating their curiosity. We aim to give our teachers the freedom to innovate and inspire our students as we know this is a crucial ingredient in driving great learning outcomes.
Being part of Leigh Academies Trust: As part of Leigh Academies Trust you will have the opportunity to collaborate with your peers and share best practice at academy level and across the whole Trust. This is an important part of our vision as we know through experience that we perform better when we work together. As part of the cluster structure, all of our academies are grouped together in key geographical areas to enable them to be able to support each other and share resources. It also offers staff access to career opportunities across the Trust allowing them to progress their career without switching employers. For more information on working for the Trust please visit our careers pages.
Diversity at our core: As a Trust we are passionate about diversity and recognise that as individuals we all bring something unique to the role regardless of age, gender, race, beliefs or disabilities which is why we treat all of our people equally, without compromise. We require all staff within the Trust to complete an enhanced DBS check as part of our on-boarding process in order to safeguard our students.