About the role: English at Mascalls is a thriving, dynamic and forward thinking department. Student centred, we pride ourselves on strong leadership, excellent outcomes and high expectations of all. Having successfully navigated the recent changes to specifications, our curriculum from Year 7 is rigorous, engaging and structured to build, interleave and consolidate the skills needed to prepare students for success at GCSE and for life! We have the opportunity for a teacher to join us in September 2019 and deliver this subject as part of a collaborative team.
Please click here to view the Job Description which is in-line with the National Teaching Standards. For the right candidate, there is the opportunity to teach at all three Key Stages. Here is an overview of what we offer our students at Mascalls Academy;
At Key Stage 3, we offer:
- An interesting and vibrant curriculum from Shakespeare to 21st Century fiction via poetry from other cultures and A Level Language inspired non-fiction study
- A knowledge based testing programme to build confidence in high level vocabulary and terminology
- Accelerated reader programme in Years 7 and 8
- Extra curricular creative writing club
At Key Stage 4, we follow the Edexcel specification for both Language and Literature including:
- ‘An Inspector Calls’, ‘A Christmas Carol’,’Macbeth’
- 19th Century unseen fiction 20th and 21st Century unseen non-fiction
At Key Stage 5, we follow the Edexcel specification:
- Language and Literature as discrete A Levels
- Theatre and British Library trips for enrichment
- ‘Atonement’, ‘Hard Times’, Victorian and Post-2000 poetry, ‘A Streetcar Named Desire’ and ‘Othello’
In return, our successful candidate will receive:
- A salary commensurate with experience
- Professional coaching and support to enhance teaching and learning
- Laptop computer
- Performance related salary enhancement
- Opportunity to teach across Key Stage 3, 4 and 5
- Bespoke CPD programme
- Complementary holistic therapy to support staff wellbeing
- Free use of a staff gym
- A thriving social and community ethos
We’re keen to hear from you if you are:
- An excellent teacher with an outstanding record
- Collaborative, building strong professional relationships
- Able to motivate and inspire students to achieve their full potential
- Energetic and have a ‘can-do’ attitude
- Someone who has a measurable impact as an individual teacher and throughout the school
- Confident and aspire to senior leadership
- Committed to the happiness and wellbeing of everyone at the school
Working at Mascalls Academy: Mascalls Academy is a secondary school at the heart of the community and our small school model ensures that each and every student gets the personal support and challenge they need to reach their full potential. The academy is divided into four colleges – Shackleton, Earhart, Luther King and Marie Curie Sixth Form College each having their own personality and range of specialisms, allowing them to be unique.
Mascalls Academy is a high achieving institution. Our recent OFSTED inspection notes “ambitious leadership has established an ethos where staff are committed to driving standards up”, that Mascalls is a “happy place to be” and that “staff feel valued”. Our judgement that we are a ‘Good’ school with ‘Outstanding’ leadership and behaviour is accurate. It is our vision to become ‘Outstanding’ in every category. Our most recent inspection can be found here.
Mascalls Academy is a dynamic and exciting place to work and the fantastic leadership team are committed to making it great for people at all stages in their careers. Our building and facilities are a mix of designs with two new buildings being modern, light and airy giving the academy a unique and special character.
We can offer you the chance to be part of a strong and collaborative department, not only within Mascalls but with the wider Trust as well. Full support will be provided and you’ll have the tools and environment needed to teach in a way that works for you. We know that being a teacher can be both challenging and rewarding in equal measures and that you thrive on inspiring young adults and stimulating their curiosity. We aim to give our teachers the freedom to innovate and inspire our students as we know this is a crucial ingredient to driving great learning outcomes.
Being part of Leigh Academies Trust: As of 1st January 2019, our Trust is comprised of 23 geographically organised academies (11 secondaries, 11 primaries and 1 special) educating over 15,000 students, and employing over 2,500 talented staff. We also have three further academies in development phase, due to open in September 2020. The Trust is establishing four ‘clusters’ of academies: North West Kent; Central Kent; South East London; Medway. In addition, the Trust is responsible for one of the region’s biggest initial teaching training providers and a large teaching school.
As part of Leigh Academies Trust you will have ample opportunity to collaborate with your peers both within the academy and across the whole Trust. This is an important part of our vision as we know through experience that we perform better when we work together. You are supported to undertake regular self-development to continue your professional development and hopefully progress further within the organisation.
We strive to offer a range of benefits that all employees can take advantage of which we regularly review and add to - click here to view what you’d receive as a member of staff with Leigh Academies Trust. You can also view our video below which provides a glimpse of what it's like to work with LAT and why we're proud of what we do.