The Local Government Association (LGA) is looking to recruit a senior media relations officer to join the national press office for local government.
You will play a senior role in supporting the work of the LGA’s media team to promote and protect the interests of local government, and ensure the sector has a voice in the big political stories of the day. From elderly care to education and potholes to policing, we deal with a huge array of different stories and are always in the news.
Working in our Communications Directorate, your main duties will include:
- Generating positive, proactive news stories which reflect the LGA’s corporate and campaigning objectives
- Rebutting negative news stories about local government
- Providing advice and counsel to elected members and senior staff, preparing briefings for high-profile media interviews
- Working on policy-driven campaigns which reflect the priorities of our member authorities and the people they serve
- Supporting member authorities by offering guidance, advice and help with crisis communications
- Provide communications and media support for our commercial contracts with external organisations
As a senior member of the team, you will help us generate proactive stories which set the news agenda and secure positive, high-profile, national news coverage for local government.
We are looking for someone with significant media relations experience working in a political environment. Educated to degree level, you will have a track record of working under pressure to cut through complex policy issues to secure national media coverage and experience of working in a political environment.
The ideal candidate will have excellent personal and influencing skills that are required to build good working relationships in a complex political organisation.
You will have a thorough understanding of the major issues facing local government and the way it works so you can hit the ground running. A positive, ‘can do’ team player you will arrive full of ideas about how local government’s voice can be heard on the national stage.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone with media relations experience who wants to become an integral part of one of the busiest press offices in England.
Closing Date: 5pm, Friday 6 April
Interview Date: Date to be confirmed
The LGA values diversity and encourages applications from all sections of the community