About the role
We are seeking an enthusiastic and experienced manager to work at the heart of our national improvement activity. This is a great opportunity for someone who is passionate and knowledgeable about local government and wants to be personally involved at a strategic level in supporting improvement in councils.
The successful candidate will play a key role in the co-ordination of the overall improvement programme for the LGA and managing the work of the LGA’s Improvement and Innovation Board. You will manage the annual negotiations with MHCLG to agree the packages of support LGA/IDeA will provide for councils, the grant funding to deliver them and lead the process of quarterly progress reporting to MHCLG. In addition you will manage the Improvement Support team and the business and support resources which provide the financial and administrative support for the whole of the Improvement Division.
Reporting directly to the Head of Improvement the successful candidate will be a key member of the Divisional Management Team and also the LGA’s Corporate Leadership Team.
- Excellent understanding of local government, the challenges it faces and the current policy and improvement agenda.
- A record of achievement in complex political environments, preferably in local or central government.
- Proven political awareness and sensitivity to ensure credibility and develop effective working relationships with politicians, senior managers, key stakeholders and staff.
- Proven ability to lead others and manage staffing and financial resources
- Good analytical skills, with the ability to pull together reports and briefings from a range of data sources and draw out the key issues
- Highly developed written and oral communication skills, including the proven ability to speak confidently in public and to present complex ideas in a clear and comprehensible way.
- An enthusiastic team player able to develop good working relationships with a variety of stakeholders, both internally and externally.
If you would like to speak to someone about this role, please contact Dennis Skinner, Head of Improvement Tel 020 7664 3017
Closing Date: 5pm, 4 February 2019
Interview Date: w/c 11 February 2019
As a Disability Confident Leader the LGA values diversity and encourages applications from all sections of the community