Lewisham is a dynamic and complex organisation supporting a local population of around 300,000 residents within the Borough; working in collaboration and partnership with public sector agencies and other providers within the Borough, and across London.
Procurement, Contract Management and Income Generation plays a vital role in ensuring that the Council continues to deliver high quality and value for money front line services to its residents. With continued and increasing austerity the ability for the Council to secure both value for money and best value through its procurement and commissioning activities has never been more important. The Council buys a wide range of goods, works and services annually and the efficient procurement of these contracts ensures best value is continuously achieved.
Linked to procurement is the recognition that effective contract management can both protect front line service delivery standards and can be used to deliver continued efficiencies.
Furthermore the Council has increasing ambitions to further its income generation and commercialisation agenda and activities, to enable financial resilience for the Council and for its residents more widely. The Council has adopted and is rolling out its new Income Generation Strategy for 2018 – 2021 which covers the breadth of income generating activities from the annual process of setting fees and charges through to the ability for new initiatives and commercial services to be brought forward and sustained through the development of a robust business case. The strategy will be supported by an organisation wide transformation agenda to embed a commercial culture and mind-set.
The Procurement and Commercial Services team is responsible for the delivery of these services across the entire organisation and is therefore instrumental in the sustained financial resilience of the Council.
This role will take the lead to deliver against the strategy and framework for the income generation activity of the Council.
The successful candidate will also lead on the annual fees and charges report preparation and presentation to members, as well as leading on the development of future income generation strategies for consideration by members.
The role is responsible for the provision of written guidance, comprehensive training (or the development and facilitation of such training) and expert consultancy advice to Directorate income leads in all matters pertaining to the applications of the Council’s income generation strategy and framework.
This role will be required to monitor the income generation activities and practice of Directorates by examination of all reports and business cases developed and presented to the Income Generation Board to ensure that the Council’s income generation activity is at all times compliant with relevant legislation and in line with strategy and to take action to redress if necessary
Lead on the preparation and co-ordination of the annual fees and charges report for the Council, working with income generation leads, finance and legal and ensuring that all Council services contribute as required through the completion of the relevant business case supported by an appropriate cost model.
Providing challenge and support as necessary to all income generation leads across Directorates to ensure that business cases are robust and consistently prepared in accordance with the income generation strategy and in compliance with the relevant legislation.
To lead on the planning and development of the Council’s future income generation strategies (and review of current strategy) for consideration by the Council’s Income Generation Board, EMT and then Mayor and Cabinet, ensuring that all necessary research and information, including as required benchmarking, market developments, organisational needs and customer requirements are available to the Board to inform their decisions. It will be vital that the Council’s Income Generation strategy documents fully support the corporate strategy and the wider economic, social and equality objectives of the Council.
To manage the Council’s central income generation activities to ensure efficiency gains for the Council and to assist in the achievement of Directorate identified income targets.
Promote the Council’s Income Generation strategy with senior managers and stakeholders including:-
• Managing key stakeholder relationships
• Representing the Council on relevant bodies
• Liaison with other local authorities to share best practice
• Providing commercial input and monitoring the quality of Council projects with regard to the Income Generation strategy
• Working in conjunction with public and private sector partners to ensure opportunities for partnership working are maximised.
This post is being offered on a 2 year temporary contract.
What we’re looking for
The successful candidate will have the following skills, experience and attitude:
- A strong and highly motivated team player with energy and credibility who commands the confidence of Members, senior managers, staff, business partners and stakeholders.
- Personal authority and stature to lead by example, achieve successful outcomes and able to act firmly and decisively both corporately and collaboratively.
- Passionate about achieving high levels of excellence.
- Practical knowledge of legislation as it affects local authorities income generation and fees and charges activities.
- In depth knowledge of the best value framework and project management methodology and processes.
- Ability to project a professional image of the Council and its services in dealings with senior officers, members and external organisations.
- Significant experience of operating income generation and fees and charges practices and procedures.
- Evidence of planning and prioritising workload and deployment of resources to ensure the achievement of key objectives and adherence to agreed deadlines and timetables.
- Significant experience of developing creative, innovative solutions to problems and of managing change.
- Relevant qualifications or corporate membership of a professional body (CIPFA, CIMA, AAT), and/or significant relevant experience.
In return, we’ll offer excellent development opportunities, plus a range of benefits that includes a career average pension scheme, flexible working and the opportunity to make a real difference to our local community.
For an informal discussion, please contact Katharine Nidd on 020 8314 6651.
Lewisham Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share in this commitment.
We value diversity and welcome applications from all backgrounds.
For a full job description and person specification, and for further information about the recruitment process and to apply, please follow this link https://lewisham.referrals.selectminds.com/jobs/income-generation-commercial-services-manager-439
Closing Date: 5pm, 5 May 2019
Interview Dates: Monday – Thursday, 13 – 16 May 2019
The council reserves the right to close adverts early if there is a large response