The recruitment for this role is being administered by the Local Government Association on behalf of Public Sector Audit Appointments Ltd
Fixed term opportunity for 6 months
PSAA is a specially created company, owned and hosted by the Local Government Association. Its core business involves the appointment, oversight and monitoring of audit firms undertaking audits of local public bodies.
With effect from April 2015 PSAA has carried out these responsibilities under time-limited statutory powers delegated to it by the then Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government. Going forward it will increasingly perform these functions, including the setting of audit fees, as the specified “appointing person” for the auditors of principal local authorities and police bodies.
This and related changes have a number of significant implications for the company. The legislative framework in which PSAA operates will be different in many important respects, not least reflecting the shift from a mandatory to an optional service. The overall local audit system landscape has also changed, becoming more complex with the advent of new regulatory roles undertaken by the Financial Reporting Council (FRC) and one or more Recognised Supervisory Bodies approved by the FRC. In summary, whilst the scale and volume of PSAA’s work has reduced, complexity has increased, giving rise to a range of new and different risks, opportunities and challenges.
PSAA’s business model has been adapted to reflect these changes and ensure the company’s continuing success. The company has developed a culture which is more explicitly focussed on balancing the needs of the bodies and sectors it serves with the challenges of audit supply sustainability
About the role
The Data Analysis Manager will be responsible for managing and delivering strong and effective data analytic outputs to feed into business information to support key operations and strategic decision making. You will also take ownership of all PSAA data including data reporting, defining key analytical insights, recommending areas for improvement and implementing those changes accordingly. The post holder will work closely with Senior Management and the Project Manager and will have the ability to explain their findings with confidence.
You will also carry out any other appropriate duties as defined by the Chief Executive, Senior Management Team (SMT), Project Manager and/or the Board.
- Manage delivery of high quality data analytic reports to support business information and strategic decision making. Working closely with Senior Management to scope and deliver all aspects of their data requirements ensuring data is accurate, relevant and up-to-date
- Carry out reactive and proactive data analysis of large structured and unstructured datasets, from a variety of data sources
- Undertake research to establish a strong evidence base that demonstrates the effectiveness of data outputs. Undertake horizon scanning and intelligence gathering to inform future planning
- To manage, review and make recommendations for the improvement of all of PSAA’s information systems, its website and implement the changes accordingly
- To develop and maintain good working relationships, and effective communication and liaison with PSAA staff and stakeholders providing information support to the PSAA Board, SMT and other staff as required
- Actively contribute to improving operational efficiency on projects and internal initiatives
- Deputise for the Project Manager as required
- Undertake any other duties and responsibilities commensurate to the grade of the post to support the PSAA Board, SMT and other staff
Key person specification
- High level analytical skills including the ability to interpret evidence and identify trends
- Degree educated ideally within a Mathematics, Statistics, Economics or Computer Science discipline or equivalent experience
- Strong IT skills (including Advanced Excel, PowerPoint and Word)
- High level interpersonal skills, with the ability to influence and negotiate with a wide range of stakeholders effectively
- Experience of design and implementation of end-to-end data solutions
- Experience of managing data from a variety of data sources
- Experience of managing a complex workload, preparing plans and meeting deadlines and milestones
- Record of project and business management achievement across multiple projects in complex and changing environments
Closing date: 5pm, Friday 23 August 2019
Interview date: Tuesday 03 September 2019