Local Recruitment for the National Graduate Development Programme – London Borough of Hackney
Opportunity for local candidates to apply to become a National Management Trainee on the national graduate development programme (ngdp) on a two-year fixed term contract starting in the autumn of 2020 and running until 2022 for Hackney Council.
Closing Date: 12pm (midday) on 07/01/2020
Department: Chief Executives/ Varied
Hours Per week: 36
Salary: £28,752.00 pa
Please read before applying
The Local Government Association’s (LGA) ngdp support team are hosting the application link for London Borough of Hackney council’s local campaign for the national graduate development programme (ngdp). The ngdp support team will invite successful candidates to each stage of the ngdp recruitment process including online tests, video link and assessment centres and will refer those that are successful at stage 3 for an interview with the council.
The national graduate development programme for local government (ngdp) is recruiting over 120 talented National Management Trainees for its Autumn 2020 intake. Successful applicants will have two years to influence some of society’s big issues, from social care and housing to education and the environment, while training to be one of local government’s next generation of managers. It is the only national graduate programme specifically for local government.
Here at the London Borough of Hackney, our biggest issues set out in our Corporate Plan are:
- Reducing poverty, inequality and building social cohesion
- Tackling homelessness
- Improving recycling on our estates
- Adult and children’s social care – responding to increased demand
- Continuing to deliver lasting solutions to London’s housing crisis
- Ensuring that Hackney is a sustainable borough, fit for the future
- Tackling gang crime and serious youth violence through working with community
- Supporting residents through the implementation of Universal Credit
- Tackling key health inequalities whilst responding to major change in the health sector and integrated commissioning.
We are looking for candidates from the local area to help to influence on tackling these issues - and the many others facing local government in Hackney.
Hackney is one of the UK’s highest performing local authorities, serving one of London’s best places to live and work. We have achieved a huge amount: our services, our schools, our public spaces are all amongst the very best. We have changed the reputation, not just of the Council, but of Hackney itself. Bringing jobs and investment into the borough and making this a place of which we can all be proud.
Employed on a two year fixed-term contract, trainees rotate between different placements to develop their skills and knowledge alongside studying for a postgraduate-level certificate from the Institute for Leadership and Management (ILM). This is a varied and prestigious programme which has a high record of success placing graduates in positions of management in local government upon completion of the scheme.
By applying as a local candidate for our local authority, successful applicants who reach the final stage of the recruitment process will be guaranteed an interview with us after April 2020.
We are looking for talented, motivated and driven individuals who see a career working in and for local government as inspirational. The scheme aims to develop individuals who will act as effective change agents and enablers in a council and is designed to help individuals realise their leadership potential in a vibrant and rapidly changing sector.
The LGA and Hackney Council will review your application in partnership and Hackney Council will be responsible for shortlisting your application against the set criteria, whilst the LGA ensure that you have met the boundaries for the ngdp test & assessments during the recruitment process.
Your local application will progress in the same timeframe as the ngdp’s national campaign and you will be assessed alongside national candidates. The ngdp facilitates the assessment of all nominated local candidates in line with national candidates to ensure they
meet the same standard. Successful candidates will become part of the national cohort with access to ngdp learning and development, networks and knowledge events, but will be exclusively interviewed by their chosen council as a successful local candidate.
In order to apply for our local position for the chance to be our local National Management Trainee, you must meet the following criteria:
- To apply for our programme, you must:
1) Be a Hackney resident AND/OR
2) Be a Hackney school / college leaver in the last 5 years AND/OR
3) Have received support from Hackney leaving care services.
4) If you have worked in Hackney it must be for more than a year
5) You will have obtained a 2.2 undergraduate degree in any subject by summer 2020
6) You have the right to work in the UK without employer sponsorship (successful applicants be required to provide documentary evidence of their entitlement to work in the UK (in accordance with the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006). The ngdp is unable to apply to sponsor a visa for candidates from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) who do not have the right to work in the UK
We support the ngdp’s goal to recruit graduates from all different backgrounds, universities and degree disciplines; our aim is to reflect the diverse community that we serve. We are looking for people who have the right values and attitudes and who can demonstrate their motivation for a career in the public sector, and who is genuinely interested in the borough.
Successful applicants will need to demonstrate their understanding of the ngdp’s key skills and behaviours through a competitive, multi-stage application process. Local candidates participate in the same process as national candidates but have the advantage of a guaranteed interview with their desired authority.
Candidates can apply only once each year to the ngdp and candidates that choose to apply for a local role cannot apply to the national scheme alongside the local application. For further information please visit https://www.local.gov.uk/national-graduate-development-programme or contact the ngdp support team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 12.00pm midday, Tuesday 7 January 2020
Assessment date: March 2020
Interview Date: June 2020