We are looking for a talented and dynamic individual who is as passionate about our business as we are. We have an exciting opportunity available to intern with our Menswear Design team, giving a great understanding of how a Design department runs day to day. Working within an integral part of our company, you will support with research, design and development of the Paul Smith and PS by Paul Smith collections and carry out general Design Studio and administration duties to ensure the smooth running of the department. This is a paid, part time position, working 25 hours per week.
• Work with all members of the Design Studio on a variety of tasks. Tasks undertaken will involve; mood boards, colour boards, colour cards, research, organising the studio space and sourcing art supplies.
• Assist with the sewing up of trials and new development samples.
• Working on colourway options, print placements, artworks for fabric developments and embellishments using Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
• Amending and updating sketches and fitting imagery using Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator when needed.
• Updating design boards (style, fabric, colour, research) through close collaboration with the team and ensuring boards are photographed, copied, distributed and archived when requested.
• Organise, set up and attend meetings and liaise with Reception to book meeting rooms, alongside meeting and greeting visitors as required.
• Support the team in coordinating the seasonal showroom and look book preparations and assisting during model castings and fittings.
• Ensure that all internal and external post for the Menswear Design team is taken for distribution.
• Assist with administrative tasks such as photocopying, scanning, printing and stationery orders as required.
• Assist in completing weekly timesheets and log any sickness, lateness or absence for the department.
Essential Experience and Skills Required:
• Previously attained 2 A Levels or equivalent practical attainment and a minimum of 5 GCSE’s at Grade C/4 or above, including Maths and English subjects or equivalent qualifications.
• High level of computer literacy in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and Microsoft Office.
• Knowledge of fashion design processes, fabric bases and colour with a familiarity in creating design boards.
• Understanding of seasons and deadlines.
• Basic machine and hand sewing skills.
• We love interns who are eager to learn and have an abundance of creative flair!
• A team player who can also work using their own initiative and build effective working relationships.
• Ideal for those who love a plan and can organise and prioritise effectively.
• Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Self-motivated and able to remain calm under pressure.
• Able to assess colour and maintain current knowledge of fashion design processes, fabric bases, proportion and trends.
Applicants must be available from July 2021 for a minimum of 6 months.
Please note, this role requires that you submit a link within the application form, to a colour portfolio containing work examples. This should be available for 4 weeks after the advert closing date. Please submit this as part of your Cover Letter.