We are P & O, with an enviable heritage, brand recognition and future investment there has never been a better time to join us.
Do you want to be part of a strong and motivated team which is market leader in passenger and freight ferry services?
P&O Ferries is the leading Ro Ro shipping company linking the United Kingdom with France, Belgium, Holland and Ireland. Our core business is the safe, efficient and profitable operation of our network of passenger and freight ferry services. We have a fleet of more than 20 ships and operate more than 30,000 sailings a year on eight major routes.
We are currently recruiting for a Technical Superintendent. In this role you need to ensure that all Company (Safety Management System) and statutory requirements are met in the areas of safety, protection of the environment and risk assessment within the Technical and Deck Department.
In the role of Technical Superintendent you liaise with the vessel Masters and Head of Department on a regular basis on operational and technical matters and carry out ship visits and inspections, ensuring the ships are maintained as required and give the necessary operational and technical support to vessels.
You will also assist the fleet manager in achieving the Company’s objectives, including procurement.
The Technical Superintendent responsibilities include ensuring that for the vessels under their control:
- Are maintained in a safe and seaworthy condition in all aspects.
- Are run efficient and reliable and in particular ship’s power plant and power generation
- Ship inspections are carried out and actions taken following the inspection
- Ensure that during external and internal surveys and audits the number of non-conformances and deficiencies are minimal
- Assist the Fleet Manager in ensuring the vessel is compliant with certificates, audits and survey requirements.
- The Fleet Manager is informed on any risk in view of safety and reliability short & long term
- Preparing refit specifications together with vessel’s Chief Engineers and Head of Departments as required and assist in tender evaluation
- Preparing and carrying out execution of refits/dockings.
- Work undertaken on board by ship’s staff or contractors is carried out safely and efficiently
- Educate and guide shipboard staff in all technical operations
- Manage and maintain spare parts held ashore
The Technical Superintendent tasks also include:
- The efficient operations of chartered vessels, including fuel management
- Assisting in the execution of audits or investigations as required
- Liaison with government authorities, classification societies, yards and suppliers
To be successful in this role it is essential that you have the following skills:
- To be successful in this role it is essential that you have the following skills:
- Substantial experience as minimum Second Engineer Officer and/or in a similar shore based role for a minimum of 3 years and in possession of 1st class Certificate of Competency.
- A clear understanding of maritime operational issues
- Able to work closely with colleagues in cross functional teams
- Ability to represent P&O Ferries with outside agencies (Flag State, Port State, Class, Contractors).
- Able to develop safe and effective operational practices & procedures
- Fluent in Dutch and English
If this sounds of interest then don't delay in applying.
For further information about this position please contact Jeroen Stal from P&O Ferries via +31 181 255 384 or send your application in English to email@example.com