We are P & O, with an enviable heritage, brand recognition and future investment there has never been a better time to join us.
P&O are currently looking for a Database 3rd line support engineer.
The primary purpose of the role the role will be delivering high-quality local and remote support on a range of technical incidents, problems, planned maintenance, commissioning and decommissioning across all P&O Ferry locations in the UK. This role is responsible for the operation and control of the IT Database services and infrastructure, required to deliver and support the information systems needs of a business.
This role can be based remotely with the ability to travel to one of our locations (Dover, Hull, Liverpool or Cairnryan) on a regular basis
The focus of the role will be to
- Drive simplification and standardisation across the databases estate, leverage industry leading best practises and processes. Provide stable and managed database solutions (on premise or in the cloud) to deliver business applications. Ensure consistency by having documented policies and procedures. Maintain availability and performance levels for all database solutions.
- Ensure our customers’ (end user client and applications teams) requirements are consistently met.
- Secure and safe practices managing corporate data and appropriate access levels as per information security standards.
- Drive simplification and standardisation across the databases estate, leverage industry leading best practises and processes.
- Onboard and manage new database estate acquisitions In line with current best practise.
- End to end lifecycle management for all database Infrastructure to ensure supportability.
- Provide stable and managed database solutions (on premise or in the cloud) to deliver business applications.
- Remediate single points of failure for critical database solutions, ensure skill sets to support these solutions.
- Ensure consistency by having documented policies and procedures
- Partner with project delivery teams to transition new services into operations.
- Provide staff with appropriate training to ensure that they are correctly skilled for the databases versions and solutions they support.
- Appropriate governance to ensure checks and balances are in place.
- Apply database service packs on a quarterly cycle following appropriate testing.
- Develop a team of matter experts
In order to be suitable for the role you must be a self-starter and have current 3rd level networking experience of, or exposure to technology areas such as:
SQL database technologies, Azure data solutions, integration and extraction from on premise, Azure data factory, Application solution design, Managing vendors and suppliers to deliver and implement new solutions, Project management and delivery, Microsoft BI stack – SSRS/IS and ETL, Data warehousing and modelling, Setup and configuration of data replication – snapshot replication, SQL 2000 and above, Experienced building data integration and reporting solutions with BI analysts
The role holder will also participate in project delivery activity, preparing teams for new or changed services, operation of the new process, the maintenance of regulatory, legal and professional standards, the building and management of systems and components in virtualised and cloud computing environments and the monitoring of performance of systems and services in relation to their contribution to business performance, their security and their sustainability.
Working alongside the Chief Technologist the role holder will play a part introducing tools and processes to automate the provisioning, testing, deployment and monitoring of components as well as ensuring security of all data/databases in co-ordination with the Information Security Manager.
The right candidate will be able to
Demonstrate experience in the technologies listed above
Oversee any delivery resources providing project implementation services within the area of scope, to ensure the deployment is completed compliant and successfully.
Demonstrate skills and experience to support, train and mentor other team members and have a ‘hands on’ problem solving approach at solving problems within strict SLA timeframes.
Have experience in assisting Service Desk create, maintain and continually improve knowledge articles in the ServiceNow repository and train that team as necessary to provide 1st level support for incidents.
The 3rd line support functions will be required to provide on-call support on a rota basis to all P&O sites in the UK.
If you are interested in this role, please click on the link below.