Townsend Gardens are seeking relief staff who will provide valuable night time support for our scheme. We are seeking individuals who have experience of working with vulnerable people, ideally in either a concierge, project assistant or security type role, in a supported or hostel environment. However we would happily consider those experienced candidates with relevant transferable skills. As the role will involve lone working, experience is essential as you will be required to deal with a variety of potential situations ranging from responding to emergencies to dealing with general queries from our customers. You will need to show that you can be calm and professional whilst under pressure, be quick thinking and able to work under your own initiative. The post requires staff to be awake throughout the night.
Who you’ll be helping
Townsend Gardens is a safe and secure home in the suburb of Selly Oak, Birmingham, for young women who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.
We support those who may have experienced domestic violence, sexual abuse or family breakdown, as well as those who are pregnant and homeless or with refugee status.
You can read more about the scheme here.
What will you do?
You will work on an as and when basis to assist in the provision of a highly customer focused care service, which promotes independence, respect and choices by ensuring a professional and supportive approach at all times.
To assist customers with queries and support when needed in accordance with current best practices according to company policies and procedures, agreed standards, legislative requirements, safeguarding and relevant regulations.
Day to day
Your key responsibilities as a Townsend Gardens Relief Worker will include:
• To provide a high quality, customer-oriented service and understand that all the actions should be customer- led.
• As directed by the manager and support team you will assist in providing care and support to customers in the provision of service and supported housing.
• Maintain and promote the dignity of all individuals which improves their health and wellbeing in a safe and appropriate environment.
• Foster effective communication with each customer and work colleagues and to be aware of communication differences and adopt an approach to suit an individual preferred method of communication.
• Encourage and enable customer to be as independent as possible with regards to their daily living skills and maintaining or improving their quality of life, this includes encouraging personal interests, access to social networks and social activities.
For a deeper understanding of your responsibilities, take a look at the job description linked below.
Does this describe you?
You are flexible, empathetic, inclusive and resilient. Even better, you have excellent interpersonal and communication skills too.
Though not essential by any means, you have preferably worked with vulnerable clients in a housing or support setting before.
Click on the job description linked below to see a full list of our essential requirements.
What’s in it for you?
In return for your hard work and dedication, we offer you:
• Access to ongoing personal career development opportunities through Learning Zone
• Family friendly benefits providing enhanced maternity, paternity, shared parental leave and adoption
• Tax-free bikes and car loan scheme
• Eye tests, glasses and lenses
• Riverside Rewards scheme and app, providing valuable access to discounted benefits including high street and online savings
Who are Riverside?
We are one of the UK’s leading social housing and regeneration organisations. We are a group of not-for-profit and commercial companies with a charitable housing association at our core. Operating across 160 local authorities in England and Scotland and housing 100,000+ people, we are fully committed to improving the lives of thousands of individuals and families. We seek to transform lives and revitalise neighbourhoods.
Is Riverside for you?
We want you to feel empowered and that your voice is truly heard. Being a company focused on people, we treat our customers with this same respect.
We trust you to protect our customers, our people and our business and we see outstanding worth in those with the courage to take responsibility, innovate and find solutions.
Your focus on performance and ambition is rewarded with development opportunities. With Riverside, you can achieve.
If you’re thinking of joining us as a Relief Worker, we’d love to hear from you. We encourage applicants from all sections of the community so that we can truly reflect the neighbourhoods in which we work.
Please note: Riverside are putting in measures to protect candidates and our colleagues from Covid-19. Whilst we are still continuing to recruit for this position and other roles in the organisation we will be implementing virtual interviews.