Apprentice Materials Testing Laboratory Technician - Denham
Securing your first apprenticeship job marks the start of an exciting new chapter, and there is no better place to kick-start your career than with SOCOTEC. Our employees are our most valuable asset, and we are committed to strengthening their skills and capabilities in order to help them achieve their career goals and our business objectives.
With over 100 years of history, SOCOTEC is the UK’s leading provider of testing, inspection and compliance services, operating across three sectors and offering an unrivalled range of technical expertise and accredited services, including consultancy. Proud of our innovative nature, customer focus and drive to continually improve, we put people at the heart of what we do, employing more than 1700 people throughout a nationwide network of UKAS accredited laboratories and offices, serving over 7000 customers.
You will be trained as a Materials Testing Laboratory Technician, with the aim of achieving a Level 3 NVQ in Laboratory and Associated Technical Activities (LATA). You will be working with the site laboratory team where you will test the behaviour of bulk construction materials including concrete, aggregates and bituminous materials.
We are looking for you to develop in to the role by undertaking an agreed structured training program of study in house so that in time you will develop an understanding and knowledge of several different types of tests on concrete, soils and aggregates in the laboratory.
- Good IT skills - Knowledge of Microsoft Office packages e.g. Excel.
- Interested in construction, science and laboratory testing
- Proactive in identifying problems and defects
- Be willing to work outside of a pre-defined scope to help the team move through initiatives
- Committed to self-development
- 3 GCSEs at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) including maths and English
- Completed an intermediate (level2) apprenticeship in An Engineering or Construction Discipline (or equivalent)
- Full UK driving license (due to travelling to various locations within the site once trained and qualified)
Things to consider
- There is a physical nature to some of the work carried out such as some heavy lifting of sample bags is required from time to time so the candidate should be fit and able to lift up to 20Kg’s at a time.
What we offer
By taking on your first post-education role with SOCOTEC, you will be equipped with the knowledge, skills and experience to build a successful and fulfilling career.
We offer a competitive salary and all the benefits of working for a dynamic and growing organisation including generous holidays, company pension and discounts on high street shopping.
If you would like to join a 1,700-strong team committed to achieving our ambition of becoming the leading trusted third party in testing, inspection and certification in the construction and infrastructure sectors, we would love to hear from you.
Please apply using link below. We are working in partnership with the apprenticeship training provider TIRO who will complete the first stage of the application process with you.
Please follow this link to the vacancy on their website: https://tiro.co.uk/socotec-hertfordshire-laboratory-technician-level-3/