telent - Principal Technical Design Authority - CCTV
Every time you pick up the phone, surf the Internet, travel on a motorway, catch a train, bus or tube, or even dial 999; chances are telent have enabled the technology to make this happen.
With current annual revenues in excess of £400M and 2,400 employees. We operate within various industry sectors including Rail, Traffic, Public Safety, Defence, Service Providers, Enterprise and Public Sector.
We design, deliver and support solutions and services which enable organisations to create, improve and maintain their ICT and communication and networks.
Highways England have awarded telent the contract for the operation and management of NRTS2 (National Roads Telecommunication Services), NRTS is the network of communication and control that Highways England uses to monitor and manage England’s motorways and major trunk roads, it is a critical component of national infrastructure supporting the country’s 4,400 mile strategic road network.
The contract includes a major technology transformation programme in addition to general maintenance and management of the network; The transformation programme comprises of 11 technology projects, including the introduction of new wireless and IP CCTV services, new management systems and the next-generation upgrade of all technology, this will ultimately enable Highways England to prepare for the future and enable safer roads, more efficient delivery and a better road user experience.
The holder of this role will be responsible for ensuring that the design and engineering processes required for the effective build, test, rollout, commission and on going operation of the NRTS CCTV solution are implemented.
CCTV is a mission critical system for Highways England providing early warning and effective response to incidents on all of England’s motorway and trunk road network. This is an imperitive that will be at forefront in all decision making for this role.
The CCTV system is unique in terms of scale (nationwide) and complexity (performance, 3rd party users, reliability) and as such involves are number of complex sub-systems each with a unique set of requirements and supply chains from internal and external providers. Each of these involve establishing and overseeing the appropriate engineering governance, processes, standards, tools and testing to ensure successful delivery.
Reporting to the Senior Technology Manager, the Principal Architect CCTV will be a senior member of the team. He/She will work closely with the other members of the engineering and project management during the excution of the role.
• Management of all engineering activities associated with CCTV;
• Ensuring that solutions are managed through the NRTS Stage Gate Process
• Ensuring issues arising are tracked and managed to satisfactory conclusion.
• Take ownership of tasks to ensure planned dates are met and be proactivite in finding solutions to potential roadblocks.
• Develop and manage measures of engineering productivity
• Management of engineering review and change processes.
• Be responsible for line management of the CCTV team (consisting for approximatly 8 professional engineers and technicians)
• High and Low Level Designs for the CCTV solution including integration with other systems such as SMS
• Design reviews
• Test Strategy, Plan and designs for and required test harnesses and simulators
• Regular reporting on progress as dictated by NRTS governance regime.
• Maintenance of CCTV risk register in conjunction with project management
• Coordination and management of internal and external vendors to CCTV solution
• Development and maintence of interface control documents for internal sub-systems and interfaces to external consumers of CCTV service.
• Liason and support where necessary to other work groups with NRTS
• Line Management ie setting objectives and conducting regular appriasals and coaching of direct reports.
We’d be delighted to hear from you if you have the following skills/experience:
• Significant experience of leading engineering teams to deliver technology Transformation programmes
• Significant experience of designing and delivering carrier class networks, and associated management systems.
• Significant experience of establishing and managing project engineering governance arrangements.
• An accomplished communicator able to concisely explain ideas and strategies to both CxO and junior team members.
• Demonstratable experience of managing tecnnology led engineering design and delivery teams
• Demonstrable experience of engineering best practice e.g. CMMI, RUP, Agile, eTOM
• Degree level qualification (or equivalent experience) in a relevant engineering discipline;
• Significant team leadership skills.
• Strong project management skills of both agile and waterfall methods in engineering delivery;
• Strong understanding of theory and practice across a wide technical information technology domains.
• Ideally a Chartered or Incorporated engineer as recognised by the Engineering Council.
telent is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to diversity and inclusion.