The role of the System Engineering Manager will be to manage the validation of customer requirements during the system design, system assurance, system test and product approval phases, and then to verify these in a purpose-built testing facility prior to delivery to the customer. This role will work be supported by specialists in various fields including:
- System Assurance
- Design Assurance
- Product Assurance
- Cyber Security
- Program Planning
- Project Management
- Human Factors
The System Engineering Manager, in consultation with the Engineering Manager HPC, is responsible for the assurance of the integrated design solution in collaboration with the System Design engineers and their day to day operations. The System Design Authority's main responsibilities include:
- Producing of programme level design plans and specifications (when required) as well as the system operational manuals which are maintained and updated throughout the design life
- Specification & management of interfaces that ensure complete inter-operability with other key HPC infrastructure and associated third party interfaces as necessary
- Managing Systems Engineer resources, in consultation with the Engineering Manager, to ensure an assured and compliant delivery of design
- Manage Interdisciplinary Design Review process and ensure all design deliverables comply with quality standards
- Approving Multi Discipline documents following acceptance by Lead Design & Systems Engineers
- Maintaining the systems engineering schedule to ensure that systems elements are delivered in a timely manner
- Maintaining and developing quality standards and procedures relating to the design and promote best practice and continuous improvement in nuclear safety and quality.
- Ensuring that all design risks are mitigated to ALARP. Escalate risks and issues that may affect delivery of HPC project or impact on Interfacing Organisations;
- Provision of technical data to support validation and assurance activities
- Identify initiatives within the organisation to continually improve the operations performance, the quality of delivery, and our focus on nuclear safety and quality practices in the environment we work
- Verification that the requirements are fully complied with and auditable.
- Shares best practices, lessons learned and updates the technical system architecture as required.
- Identify areas for innovation and continuous improvement.
Business Operations Skills – Experience
- Demonstrable success leading a system engineering team across the entire lifecycle, in a safety or mission critical environment
- Knowledge of working in a highly regulated and safety critical environment, such as nuclear
- Ability to work in a cross functional / matrix environment
- Excellent team working skills
- Strong man management skills
- Collaborative approach to working internally and with other stakeholders
- Ability to work under pressure
- Financial and commercial awareness
- Desirable working Knowledge of Nuclear Safety legislation and how this is applied, monitored and improved within a safety critical or mission critical environment
- Experience in Designing Optical transmission networks.
Business Operations Skills – Qualifications
- Significant experience in the development of Integrated Communications Systems and detailed knowledge of the Validation and Verification of an Assured Complex design solution
- Tertiary level of education in ICT / Telecoms or similar
- Knowledge of CDM 2015 Requirements
- Excellent problem solver.
- Commercial and financial awareness applied to design management
- SC Clearance
Along with Telent employee behaviours, these additional behaviours are required for HPC:
- Demonstrating that safety and nuclear safety, is the first consideration
- Applying the Zero Harm principle
- Being prepared to “call out” when something is “not right” in a constructive and positive way
- A desire to build robust working relationships beyond company boundaries.
- Honesty, to admit or point out when things are not going well.
- Constantly seeking ways to raise performance and encouraging others to do so.
- Self-awareness and humility. Being aware of one’s own limitations and welcoming the help and support of others.
- Understanding the skills of the team members and valuing the contribution that each makes.
- Respecting the views and opinions of others, especially when they disagree with them.
- Always trying to be clear when communicating with others, taking the time to explain and to confirm the other person’s understanding.
- Recognising the power of working collaboratively.
- Resilience when faced with problems, seeking solutions and remaining positive.
Excellent Employee Benefits:
Telent is committed to ensuring that we offer industry leading career opportunities, salary and benefits packages. Join us and you can expect to receive:
- 33 days holiday, including public holidays, plus the option to buy or sell five days each year
- Company pension scheme
- A range of family friendly policies including childcare vouchers
- An employee-funded car leasing scheme
- Occupational health support
- Telent Rewards Scheme
So why choose Telent for your next opportunity?
- To build, run and maintain a successful network, you need a connected approach – a team you can trust from strategy to support, and everything in between. At Telent, this is what we do!
- As part of our team, you could be working with some of the biggest names in the Traffic, Rail, Public Safety, Defence and Service Provider sectors including London Underground, Network Rail, Transport for London, RNLI, MOD and Virgin Media. You’ll help us ensure the most important messages get through – however tough the conditions.
- Here are just some of the ways we’re different:
- You’ll go further with us. We understand the importance of career development and will give you all the support you need to realise your potential. You’ll receive formal training, e-learning and mentoring from top professionals. And we offer opportunities to transfer to other sectors – or even different technology areas.
- You’ll make a difference. You could be working outdoors, battling the elements, or in one of our many offices helping us develop the network infrastructures of tomorrow.
- You’ll be treated as an individual. We’re not a vast corporation, which means every individual counts. With us, you’ll be valued and supported, involved and empowered from day one.
- You’ll be well rewarded. We offer salary progression that reflects market rates and personal performance, a flexible working environment and excellent training.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy once we have received sufficient applications.
Telent is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to diversity and inclusion.