The Web Operations Teams is one of three technical teams jointly responsible for developing and supporting the family of VisitScotland websites that receive 20 million user sessions per annum. The team has a full 360-degree view of the web estate as it is involved in every web project from initial application architecture and design through to release and production support.
The team operates in a culture of tightly integrated cross functional DevOps, working closely with the Design and Development Teams, where each team member is expected to contribute across the breadth of web operations: actively developing a breadth of knowledge and skillset; evolving best operational practice; and developer and engineer collaborating to create the environments required for continuous code integration and agile development workstreams.
The post holder will develop, maintain, support and optimise VisitScotland’s web services infrastructure systems and associated IT systems and ensure that the services provided exceed the established Service Level Agreements and quality standards.
Knowledge/Skills and Experience
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail and a strong customer focus.
- Ability to work well either in a team or as the sole senior technical resource on a project.
- Good analytical skills and an ability to define the precise nature of problems.
- Extensive experience of the installation, configuration and support of web services using Java containers, caching technologies, web server technologies, databases, virtualization technologies and a wide variety of proprietary and Open Source software.
- Good experience of Configuration Management tooling, containerisation tooling, IaaS platforms, CI/CD, etc.
- Experience of web content management technologies.
- Strong Linux experience.
- Experience in building, configuring and administering continuous integration tools such as Maven, Jenkins, Subversion, CVS and supporting development and test environments.
- Good scripting abilities, in support of refining automation within the Continuous Integration environment.
- High levels of skill in the management and manipulation of HTTP traffic at both a network level and a URL manipulation level, in order to manage both performance and availability.
- Ability to pro-actively evaluate open source and vendor specific tools and methodologies, and prepare technical documentation supporting any recommendation.
- Extensive experience of LAN and WAN technologies using Cisco routers, switches and Firewalls
VisitScotland actively promotes the Gaelic language and an interest in the language or possession of Gaelic Language skills would be considered a desirable attribute in any prospective employee.
For more information, see the job description below.