Senior Mortgage Underwriter x2
Salary: Competitive salary depending upon experience
Annualised hours contract
Location: Head Office, West Bromwich*
*We take staff welfare extremely seriously; we are and will continue to ensure we comply with government guidance during this difficult time
The Society is currently recruiting for two Senior Mortgage Underwriters to join our Mortgage Underwriting and Processing team. The role holders will consider mortgage applications up to a designated authority level whilst protecting the integrity of the Society’s mortgage portfolio.
• Sanction mortgage referrals and applications up to underwriter level
• Obtain highest mandate available within underwriting department
• Apply mortgage mandate to mortgage applications and mortgage referrals against the Society’s policy and ensure that business reasoning and risk assessment is used for those cases that fall outside policy in order to protect the Society’s mortgage book
• Ensure offers are produced correctly with regard to product clauses and valuation issues
• Approve all types of self-employed, BTL, Self Build and assisted applications
• Experience with Complex Income, Retirement Interest Only, 2nd Charge lending and Bridging Finance desirable
• Maintain service standards
• Maintain first class customer service with minimal complaints
• Provide support to junior/new underwriters
• Act as a referral point for complex underwriting queries and cases
• Able to complete a manual Underwriter Assessment if required.
• Present cases for Senior Authorisation with supporting arguments and rationale.
Skills & Attributes
• Experience in a related financial environment exercising a Lending mandate
• Ideally seven years minimum practical underwriting experience and possess a current lending mandate. Experience in all aspects of self employed underwriting including assessment of accounts
• General understanding of current mortgage products
• Ability to make decisions based on an assessment of risk and policy
• Excellent communication skills
• Empathy towards customer
• Strong organisation skills and effective time management
• Ability to work with others in a team environment and assist team members with complex cases / queries
• Excellent Communication Skills written and verbal, and ability to adapt style to suit audience.
What’s in it for you?
• Performance related pay scheme
• Generous annual leave starting at 25 days
• Pension scheme
• Life assurance
Inspired by the Society’s Vision and Values, it’s not just what we do but how we treat our colleagues and customers that makes the people at the West Brom really stand out from our competitors.
*Please note – We reserve the right to withdraw our adverts earlier than the original published expiry date, therefore if you are interested please submit your application as soon as possible*
At the West Brom we appreciate that our employees are unique individuals with differing needs depending on their specific circumstances and stages in life. When we say our people are the West Brom’s biggest asset that doesn’t mean just viewing them as employees. We also recognise they have a life outside work, one that has responsibilities and rewards which the Society respects and supports in ways that aim to bring the best out of them. If you are interested in applying for a role with us and have a need for flexibility within your working schedule please discuss this with our recruitment team when making an application as wherever possible we’ll be open to a flexible working pattern.
Head Office: 2 Providence Place West Bromwich B70 8AF. www.westbrom.co.uk The West Brom is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority. Register no. 104877. ‘the West Brom’ is a trading name of West Bromwich Building Society.