As our Lead Tax Manager you will lead, inspire and develop a team of tax professionals responsible for the delivery of effective and efficient tax compliance, risk management, and reporting. Bringing your proven tax experience you will be our trusted advisor all tax matters across the business.
It is a really exciting time to join the team, giving you the opportunity to shape your role and how the tax team work in the future. Some of the key projects we will require your expertise on in 2021 will be making tax digital and developing a tax and risk strategy that is fit for purpose for the society.
What You'll Do
• Own tax team priorities and services and be accountable for and oversee the effective execution of the following:
- Development and implementation of the Society tax strategy, risk management framework and governance.
- Accountable for the Society BRR+ readiness to maintain the Society’s low risk rating with HMRC.
- Accountable for d the annual SAO compliance sign-off process including obtaining annual sign-offs from other business areas with tax responsibility.
- Accountable for ensuring all ‘Making Tax Digital’ requirements are met by the Society.
• Provision of tax internal consultancy to Compliance as required in regards to Corporate Criminal Offence (CCO) legislation.
• Lead tax technical specialist providing stakeholders with clear interpretation of tax legislation and guidance including recommendations and support with the implementation of changes to ensure compliance is delivered in an effective and efficient way..
• Lead the proactive business partnering with key internal stakeholders to raise profile of tax team, keep informed of business changes and communicate new tax developments.
• Influencing stakeholders to embed an understanding of the tax teams data requirements and the impact of tax to the business.
• Proactively drive on-going technology/process improvement initiatives to improve department efficiency and effectiveness.
• Develop and support the tax team from a technical perspective to enable them to maintain up to date relevant technical knowledge and meet challenges and deadlines in a timely manner.
• Accountable for corporate entity activities (Board updates, subsidiary wind-ups, etc.).
How You’ll Do It
• Hold an accounting or tax qualification with at least 5 years PQE experience or equivalent experience in-house or in practice.
• Senior level experience in leading a tax team, ideally gained within financial services environment.
• Experience in implementing and maintaining tax risk management and governance process.
• A subject matter expert in Corporation tax, VAT, PAYE and Operational taxes (ITC (FATCA/CRS), BBSI & ISA) with some relevant knowledge of the other taxes.
• Experience in managing HMRC as well as tax advisors.
• Highly numerate, intellectually strong and capable of digesting and interpreting tax technical information.
• A well organised strategic thinker who drives value by influencing the organisation positively.
• Identifies and delivers process improvement, automation and positive change.
• Able to identify and address key risks/implications associated with any business activities or changes.
• Strong leadership skills, with the ability inspire, develop and motivate a team of existing subject matter experts.
• Excellent communication skills, with the ability to converse effectively with senior stakeholders.
Life at YBS
In addition to the usual benefits such as competitive salary, annual bonus and healthcare packages we offer you…
Flexibility – Whether it’s picking up the kids from school or catching that early morning yoga session we have you covered.
Celebrating Success – From everyday thank you cards, to our annual ‘Raising the Roof’ gala to celebrate our golden ticket winners we acknowledge our colleagues successes no matter how big or small.
Giving Back – Fancy 31 hours of paid leave a year to get involved in community activities? Together last year, we completed more than 11,000 hours of volunteering!
Inclusivity - We don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our colleagues, our customers and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer.
Site Perks – Some of our sites have added little extras such as a gym, restaurant and free parking at our Bradford site, roof garden in Leeds, and on-site restaurant and free parking at our Peterborough site.
If you’ve got a solid background in tax and leading a team of tax subject matter experts and you want to develop a career in an empowering, respectful and supporting business then why not join us?
Our people are our heart and soul; we’re commercial and caring, big enough to offer you a challenge and small enough for you to make a real impact. We’re devoted to putting people first and doing the right thing by providing real help with real life.
We’d love to hear from you so why not apply today and be Your Brilliant Self!
Due to the current situation with COVID-19 our recruitment process will be either carried out digitally on a video platform or via telephone.
Please note the role is usually based in our Leeds city centre office however the team are currently working remotely.